Drive Migration methods

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kingping14, Mar 19, 2012.

1. kingping14 macrumors member

I'm looking to replace the 500gb in my MBP 15 with a 1TB soon and I'm wondering what is the best way to migrate?

1. connect and format the new drive with external adapter, then use CarbonCopyCloner (or similar software) to clone the original drive on to the new drive, proceed to install new drive into MBP.

2. install new drive, reinstall OSX, then plug in old drive into an adapter and use Migration assistant to migrate to sort out the rest.

which is the most fail safe way to migrate? I dont mind how long it takes, just want a perfect migration.

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

option 1

3. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

When installing a new drive I usually do a clean install of the OS onto the HDD/SDD and install programs individually. By doing the installation this way I am assured of not bringing over any "crap/issues" from old drive via a clone copy or migration assistant. Once that is done and the system is up and running with no issues I than make a bootable clone via CCC.

4. kingping14 thread starter macrumors member

I like a clean install too but I dont really want to mess around with any settings and already installed software, plus I might miss something on the way:(

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

If your not having issues on the 500MB except running out of space than you won't have any worries using a clone