Drive Partitions ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Washac, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Washac, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013

Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

I need to get this clear in my head before I embark on something.

I have a drive with two partitions, one partition is used for storage the other for Time Machine, I want to get rid of the Time Machine Partition as I use Super Duper for backing up and do not see the need for TM anymore and need the storage space.

My question is if I get rid of the TM partition and resize the other, all else in the other partition be OK ?

2. Bear macrumors G3

Always back up a disk before playing with the partitions. If the Time Machine partition is after the data partition, you should be able to resize the data partition without losing data.

If the Time Machine partition is at the beginning of the disk, then you would need to repartition and restore your data.

3. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

This is where CCC really pays for itself - Clone the data partition to a spare drive, erase the two partitions and replace with a single one, CCC the data back again.

4. Spinland macrumors 6502

Spinland

+1. CCC has been a wonderful tool for me over the years, well worth the modest price to register. I keep a couple of cheap, smaller 2.5" external drives around and clone my system partitions to them weekly, and more than once such a backup has proven to be useful.

5. Bear macrumors G3

The person has SuperDuper which can do the same for him no need to mess with CCC.

6. Spinland macrumors 6502

Spinland

My bad, I missed that. :eek:

7. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Yes the Time Machine partition was after the date, so I deleted the Time Machine partition and resized the data, all OK.

Thank & Thanks all.