Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

decibel83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2015
Hi.
I configured FileVault during my last Mac OS X Yosemite installation on my MacBook Pro and now I need to insert the drive password to login with my main user: good!

But I am able to create a new user, which can login without the drive password, and if I give it the Administrator rights it can see and list the content of the home directory of my main user even if nobody inserted the drive password.

Why??? How I can avoid this??

Thank you so much for your support!
Bye

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
If you have two users enabled to unlock the disk, then either account can unlock the entire disk when that account logs in. That's how File Vault is designed to work.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
fmram is right. Once the disk is unlocked by one, it's unlocked for all. That's how the full disk encryption in FileVault works.

...if I give it the Administrator rights it can see and list the content of the home directory of my main user...
Users (even administrators) cannot see the files belonging to other users. You might see the folders inside the home directory, but you cannot go into them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.