Drive setup for Photoshop/Web Design

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by phantomsd, Apr 17, 2011.

1. phantomsd, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011

phantomsd macrumors 6502

Dec 7, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Hey guys,

I've read a bunch of threads on hard drive setups but found few that mirrored my situation and most were pretty complex for my needs. Currently looking at a 2010 MP 2.8 Quad/12GB OWC RAM (it will be my first desktop Mac).

What hard drive setup would you recommend?

I do print/web design (CS5) and would like to get into some Final Cut pretty soon. I also have lots of media files (music, movies, tv shows) that I add to regularly.

I have my heart set on an OWC 115GB SSD for OSX/apps... the rest will be 1 or 2TB WD drives (black or green) for data, scratch, storage... I'd also like a trusty, simple backup solution.

Optical or #1 for SSD: ?
    #2: ?
    #3: ?
    #4: ?

Please advise... thanks in advance!!! :D
  2. JollyJoeJoe macrumors regular

Apr 3, 2011
    2x 6G OWC SSD's in RAID0 for OS,Photoshop/scratch drive (Make volume image once all main programs have been installed on the RAID0 and back-up )
    and either an internal RAID5 or external RAID5 for work files.
  3. phantomsd thread starter macrumors 6502

Dec 7, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks. Could the new 6Gs be utilized in the current Mac Pro? I thought they only played well with the new 2011 MBPs...

I prefer going with one SSD and have the rest HDD for now since I have a budget.

Anyone else like to chime in?
  4. Another1 macrumors newbie

Apr 4, 2011
    Yes, 6G isn't used in 2010 MP (unless you insert a separate Controller), only in 2011 MBP. So you can buy 3G SSD as well. I would use 1 SSD for system and programs, one SSD (optional) as scratch (or a partition in the outer area(!) of one or more HDDs) and 3 or 4 HDDs as storage in RAID 5 or 0. And a big external storage for TM.