Drive setup for Photoshop/Web Design

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by phantomsd, Apr 17, 2011.

1. phantomsd, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011

phantomsd macrumors 6502

phantomsd

Hey guys,

I've read a bunch of threads on hard drive setups but found few that mirrored my situation and most were pretty complex for my needs. Currently looking at a 2010 MP 2.8 Quad/12GB OWC RAM (it will be my first desktop Mac).

What hard drive setup would you recommend?

I do print/web design (CS5) and would like to get into some Final Cut pretty soon. I also have lots of media files (music, movies, tv shows) that I add to regularly.

I have my heart set on an OWC 115GB SSD for OSX/apps... the rest will be 1 or 2TB WD drives (black or green) for data, scratch, storage... I'd also like a trusty, simple backup solution.

Optical or #1 for SSD: ?
    #2: ?
    #3: ?
    #4: ?

Please advise... thanks in advance!!! :D

2. JollyJoeJoe macrumors regular

2x 6G OWC SSD's in RAID0 for OS,Photoshop/scratch drive (Make volume image once all main programs have been installed on the RAID0 and back-up )
    and either an internal RAID5 or external RAID5 for work files.

3. phantomsd thread starter macrumors 6502

phantomsd

Thanks. Could the new 6Gs be utilized in the current Mac Pro? I thought they only played well with the new 2011 MBPs...

I prefer going with one SSD and have the rest HDD for now since I have a budget.

Anyone else like to chime in?

4. Another1 macrumors newbie

Yes, 6G isn't used in 2010 MP (unless you insert a separate Controller), only in 2011 MBP. So you can buy 3G SSD as well. I would use 1 SSD for system and programs, one SSD (optional) as scratch (or a partition in the outer area(!) of one or more HDDs) and 3 or 4 HDDs as storage in RAID 5 or 0. And a big external storage for TM.