Drive shows up in Disk Utility, but nowhere else

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by themac777, Aug 18, 2013.

1. themac777 macrumors newbie

I have a LaCie HDD from a few years ago that recently stopped showing up anywhere other than Disk Utility.

Here's a few steps I have taken already to try to troubleshoot.

1.) Rebooted the computer multiple times / tried new cables / tried different ports on my computer / tried the HDD on other computers. No success!

2.) Tried verifying and repairing disk utility, here's a screenshot and the log.

[​IMG]

Note that the drive "appears to be OK".:confused::confused::confused:

3.) Downloaded the demo of SuperDuper! but it does not recognize the drive.

I just need to be able to copy my stuff to a new drive as this one appears to have issues!! Any suggestions GREATLY appreciated, thanks!!!

2. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

The hard drive is mounting, however the partition itself is not; notice the greyed out thing under the drive name?

Could you click on that (it's the actual partition) and post a screenshot of what shows up? It might give me a better idea what's going on.

3. themac777 thread starter macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

here you go...it's selectable but there's no interactivity and the "restore" & "verify" both say the drive is ok. let me know if you need anything else.

4. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

See that text next to Mount Point: that is colored blue and underlined? That is the location in the file-system that the drive is mounted (and I can see that it is mounted because the "Mount" button is now "Untmount"). Click on that text to have a window in the Finder open to that location.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

if the data is important to you, try one of the disk rescue programs like DiskWarrior sometimes they can fix things that disk utility doesn't.

6. themac777 thread starter macrumors newbie

@ElectricSheep, this pops up when I click that.
    [​IMG]

@old-wiz: will try disk warrior thanks!

7. themac777 thread starter macrumors newbie

Disk Warrior did the trick, thanks so much guys!!

8. olysaa macrumors newbie

Similar problem any help greatly appreciated

I have a 64GB micro sd card with all my iPhoto files saved on it and now this doesn't mount on finder and only shows up in disk utility. The actual disk is greyed out and I have tried disk repair but get the message "Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files."

I don't know how to backup files if I can't access the disk and I don't want to reformat the disk because it has ALL my pictures and I don't have these saved else where.

I have attached a picture of what my disk utility looks like. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated

Attached Files:

• pdf.pdf
      File size:
      123.6 KB
      Views:
  9. Fishrrman macrumors G4

This reply written to olysaa (post 8)

Sounds like you may have to go to data recovery software to get the files back.

What I would try first (using Disk Utility):
    See if you can create a copy of the SD card on ANOTHER drive somewhere.
    Can you create a new "dmg" file from the SD card (even though it can't be "read") ?
    The idea here is to make a copy of the SD card, even if the copy can't be "read" for now.

Alsoft's "DiskWarrior" might be able to repair the SD card's directory, but no guarantee on that.

If you need to go to "data recovery" (instead of just "directory repair"), there are several apps out there, such as:
    DataRescue3
    Stellar Phoenix Data Recovery
    Disk Drill
    ... and others.

ALL of these apps WORK THE SAME WAY.
    That is:
    - You download the app for free in "demo mode"
    - You run the app and "aim it" at your problem drive (I suggest "deep scan" mode)
    - The app will scan the problem drive (in your case, the SD card), and give you a report as to what it finds
    - If the app finds recoverable files, it will let you recover ONE file (without paying)
    - The point of all this is so you can see if the app has a good chance of working for you
    - If it looks like the app has found files to recover, you then pay the registration fee, enter a code, and the app "goes to work" on the problem drive

You'll need another drive with enough space to receive the recovered files.

BE AWARE that you're probably going to lose all your previous file names and folder hierarchies. This is "normal behavior" for data recovery software.

ALSO BE AWARE that it may be possible to get file names back, by dumping the recovered files into iPhoto again (create a new iPhoto library). I'm -guessing- that iPhoto may be able to read the metadata associated with each file, and restore the name (that's only a guess).

ALSO BE AWARE that even if you can't get the SD card to mount on the desktop, and if the data recovery software fails to "see it", there is another alternative course available.

But try the above first...

10. olysaa macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying Fishrrman. I wasn't able to make a copy of the SD card, but weirdly after installing and running Leawo data recovery app, I noticed the SD card had mounted again on finder. I was then able to copy off the iPhoto album.

Stranger still, the SD card seems to be working perfectly again and on running verify and repair on disk utility, get a "disk is ok" message. Not sure if I still need to reformat the card now or just leave well enough alone??:confused:

Thanks

11. Fishrrman macrumors G4

[[ Stranger still, the SD card seems to be working perfectly again and on running verify and repair on disk utility, get a "disk is ok" message. Not sure if I still need to reformat the card now or just leave well enough alone?? ]]

I'd run Disk Utility's "repair" function on the card about four or five times.

If it comes up "ok" each and every time, I'd keep using the card.

But BACK IT UP frequently....

12. chabig macrumors 68040

I noticed that your drive is partitioned using "Apple Partition Map". That was replaced in 2006 by "GUID Parition Table". If you can, backup your data and repartition the drive using the newer method. It'll probably save you hassle down the road.