Drive spits Blank Disc

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by munay, Jun 17, 2008.

1. munay macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook and lately, every time I insert a blank disc, it spits the disc out. I can hear the drive working for a couple of seconds then the disc comes out. The same thing happens when I insert burned disc. I didn't encounter any problem whenever I insert original discs (audio or films). Please help me. I need to burn a lot of files. :(

Thank you!

x's:
    I've been using the same blanc discs but the problem only came 2 weeks back. Before I can use -/+ r/rw disc with no problems at all. I doubt that it has to do with the discs type :(

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

Most likely a problem with + or - disk exclusively isn't it? My MB is very finicky, I think the combo drives are much more than the superdisk. My advice is try a + if it is a - or a - if it is a + that you are having problems with, if it persist you might have a bad drive, but most likely it is just a format problem.

3. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Open Applications > Utilities > System Profiler and click 'Disc Burning'. There you will be able to see what kind of discs your machine can burn (CD-Write/DVD-Write).

For what it's worth, my 3-year-old iMac is a bugger when it comes to burning. I use one of my other machines. I'm guessing, but I think it doesn't like the heat. If you only have one machine then, quite honestly, if you want to burn discs regularly then I would suggest it's reason enough to return/exchange the computer. Basically it's a tool that doesn't work.

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Bumping this topic because I just "caught" this problem.

Problem: I transferred a wedding video from VHS to a DVD in a VCR-DVD combo. Put the resulting DVD in my 5 month old iMac, and it played fine via DVD player.

Then, because I wanted to experiment with the software program Mac the Ripper, I put the DVD back in and tried ripping it. That worked. I then ejected the DVD and put in a second, blank DVD so I could use Toast to re-burn the program back to disk. It was at that point that everything went FUBAR.

The Superdrive keeps spitting out my blank Sony DVDs. I put back in the original wedding DVD, also a Sony DVD, which had just played a few minutes before, and it got ejected multiple times as well.

Now, everything I put in, from Maxell DVDs that had previously played without problem, to commercial DVDs, to my install disks, gets spat out.

A part of me wants to say that Mac the Ripper somehow hosed my Mac, but I doubt it. Here at MR there are threads going back to 2005 about this problem, and as far as I know, nobody's ever come up with a good, definitive solution.

Which I think is pretty ****ty of Matshita, for making such drives, and Apple, for continuing to use them for years.

For the record: Apple iMac 2.4 Intel Core 2 Duo, OS 10.5.6, Matshita UJ-875 DVD-R drive, firmware rev. DB09.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Have you tried a restart to see if that fixed it?

Can you boot from the Install disc and run HW test?

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yes, I've restarted, and no, it won't boot up from the install disk. Just spits it out before even booting.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Try zapping the PRAM, option+Cmd+P+R on boot

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Nope. (Interestingly, I'd heard you can't zap P-RAM from an aluminum keyboard, but that doesn't seem to be true.)

From what I've seen, this problem is not going to be solved by any conventional means. Windows users have the same problems, and apparently at least some of them can be fixed via the Windows registry. (Would the Mac equivalent be Terminal?)

Barring somebody coming up with a solution like that, I think I'm in for a visit to the Apple Store. :(

Incidentally: if I were to get an external drive, would I still be able to watch DVDs via DVD Player?

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You should be able to.

Good luck finding a solution.

10. hitokaji macrumors newbie

11. munay thread starter macrumors newbie

Solution

Hi Hitokaji!
    I solved the problem by re-installing my Toast software!
    It was a software problem. Maybe you can try updating your programs, it might help!
    :)
    Have a great day.

12. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I had this problem a while back, only solution I found was to get the drive replaced under warranty, which was done no problem at all.