Drive spits out music CDs but not CDRs or DVDs

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by seb-opp, Nov 17, 2008.

1. seb-opp macrumors 6502

I have a core duo macbook from 2006 with a combo drive. Since the summer its developed a problem, where when I insert a music CD, it spins up twice, then spits it out. It usually takes around 7 to 12 attempts before it mounts. Ive tried lots of disks, this dosnt happen when I put in a CDR or play a DVD. Ive tested lots of CDs, it seems to only happen with ones I have bought recently, which are mainly between 2006 and 2008, although the oldest cd I bought recently was released in 2003. All older ones I tested work fine. Its not limited to music genre either, Ive tried everything from Rap to Metal :p

Anything I can do, or do I need to get it replaced? I have a 5 year warranty with John Lewis, where I bought it.

2. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

How bizarre. Is it only read-only music CDs, or are game CDs (as in CD-ROMs not CD-Rs) spat out too?

3. seb-opp thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh actually I remembered, I got Crossover games with that promotion thing recently so Tried to load battlefield 1942, it spat all 4 different discs out. Same when i tried sim city 3000. Seems to be just CD-ROMs then. Its really confusing me

4. jay2689 macrumors newbie

I am in line with you, guys. In my case it tends to eject my rewritable cd and dvd. And there's a problem reading cd's and dvd's- I get read errors while installing windows for example.