Drive Storage Question

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by robertdsc, Jul 27, 2014.

1. robertdsc macrumors regular

robertdsc

After following Cox Orange's advice on buying a PC SATA card with the SIL3124 chip, installing the drivers, installing two SATA drives and seeing them appear on the desktop of two separate G4 Macs, I have a question on what kind of drives to use.

The card I bought is a 4-port PCI-X card and works in a MDD Dual 1.0 and a DA 466. With that said, the possibilities are endless in terms of building a storage server, which is what my DA 466 was doing with many IDE drives.

My question is this: would it be better to buy standard 3.5 inch desktop hard drives or buy 2.5 inch laptop drives for my storage needs? I ask because I have a couple of people in my neck of the woods who could provide drives of either type.

I have lots of experience in mounting drives inside Mac cases, so getting laptop drives would not be a problem in terms of getting them to fit. If anyone can shed light on which kind of drive is better, I'd appreciate it.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I don't have any hard numbers to give you, just an opinion based on my own experiences.

That said, I would say go with desktop drives. Between all the failed drives that I have had or experienced in the last ten years by far the greater amount is laptop drives. I can see that they would be easier to replace and a smaller form factor, but I don't think they last as long. I've still got desktop drives from the 90s that work.

I'm not sure about the ports either. I know that an IDE/PATA laptop drive port is very different from that of a desktop IDE/PATA port. You can't use a desktop IDE cable with a laptop IDE drive. I've never replaced a laptop SATA drive so I may be wrong, but I assume the port is different and that therefore you wouldn't be able to use the standard power and data cables.

Just my opinion.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can use a 2.5" SATA drive in a desktop's SATA port without a problem. They have the same data and power connectors.