Drivecam - can you get this running on a Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by natekettles, Oct 30, 2010.

1. natekettles macrumors member

natekettles

Hey all,

So my dad wants to convert to Mac but he needs to be able to view DriveCam video files (.dce file format). DriveCam only makes the video viewer for Windows.

"Not a problem", I said, as I know I can use Crossover to do this. Unfortunately, I tried this and failed.

I need to be able to play .dce files on a mac...either natively (with some kind of video player) or with an emulator. Has anyone had some success with this or can you give me some guidance?

http://www.drivecam.com/resource-center/downloads -> Thats where you can download the Windows only viewer.

Would really appreciate any help.

2. natekettles thread starter macrumors member

natekettles

thanks, but

Hey Spinnerlys. While I am thankful for your reply, you seem to have unfortunately not read what I asked for. I want to play them natively or through an emulator. I fully understand that I can load an entire Windows installation, but I don't want to do this for just one app. Its a waste of money and CPU & RAM resources.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Then you may take a look at Wi-ne, sometimes people get running Windows applications via that (without actually running Windows) to work. It might be tricky though.

Otherwise I don't know of a way. Maybe you can also take a look at Parallels and VWMware Fusion's ability to run applications in windowed mode, without the whole Windows GUI surrounding it. It is called Unity in one of those two.