Driver for Dell P703W

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dontwalkhand, Jun 8, 2010.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I am searching for a way to hack this printer to work for Mac OS. Here is the dilemma I am in. I was given this printer for free, so before anyone says I should return it, I can't, and I would like to use it!...

The printer has Bonjour, which we all know is an APPLE technology. Naturally when something is using an Apple technology, you would expect it to work with a Mac...WRONG!

We do have a Dell in the house, the Dell software WILL NOT find the printer at all on the network. Now guess what does?? THE MAC! The Mac can SEE the printer, but has no drivers to print to it.

This doesn't make sense at all, a printer made for PCs, using an Apple technology, the PC can't find it, but the Mac can, but can't print to it.

So guess what I am left with a Dell Doorstop, unless somebody can help me get this thing on my iMac, haha :). BTW. I am running 10.6

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Although it is frustrating that a company will use an Apple-dominant technology but not support the Mac, frustrations are a fact of life. Bonjour was developed and released by Apple, but it is not Mac-exclusive. It is supposed to relieve the user of concerns about drivers, but that is not how many manufacturers implement the technology. For example, my department purchased an HP Color LaserJet 2600n. Macs can communicate with it only via Bonjour. However, we had to download a driver before it would actually work. But, I digress....

Dell supports your printer under Windows exclusively. The printer is not supported by the Linux Foundation's OpenPrinting Project for CUPS drivers. It may be possible to connect it to a Windows computer and to share it from Windows as a generic PostScript (LaserWriter) printer. Otherwise, your friend gave you a nice doorstop.