Driver for video card messed me all up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by displayboy, Nov 5, 2008.

1. displayboy macrumors newbie

I have a DELL 30" display which is not supported by my older G5 video card. I got a ATI Radeon 9600 pro Mac (AGP) for my older G5. I put it in and installed all software, and it did not work, my resolution could not go past 1280 x 800. So I then updated the driver from the ATI website (june 2005!) like it says to to in the instructions. After that now my display preferences only have one setting to offer - 1280 x 800, and it does not recognize the display in the top of the menu, it just says "Display" when before it said "DELL3007WFPHC". And there is no "detect Display" button. Great... so i called ATI support and they have me exchange my card for a new one. nope same issues. so i called ATI support again, he said "oh you should of not updated the driver, you need to uninstall the driver, but sorry i don't know how to do that on a mac...please call apple"
    Long story short how do I uninstall a driver for a display/graphics card???
    FYI-all displays (19", 22") I try to use this this mac have the same issue now.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your Radeon 9600. It doesn't have a dual link DVI port so a single link is only going to offer half of the resolution that you need. (e.g. 1280 x 800)

I don't remember ATI offering an uninstaller with their driver package. You might have to go as far as reinstalling OS X.

3. displayboy thread starter macrumors newbie

It does have a duel DVI link. It is the 9600 PRO. i have 2 displays hooked up to it both with the same issue (DELL 30" and Apple 22"). ATI said it is the right one for my system and displays???

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Just to make sure my memory wasn't wrong I checked Apple's technical specifications on the Radeon 9600 Pro and the 30" Cinema Display.

I wasn't able to find anything that mentioned a dual link DVI port. I haven't used the ATI drivers since 2005 myself but the disk image might come with an uninstaller. If it doesn't you might have to go as far as reinstalling OS X. You can try to remove all the package installer's contents but that might leave you without ATI video drivers.

5. displayboy thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, my next move was to re-install OSX but was hoping not to have to do it. thanks for the input. it really makes me mad the ATI said they cannot help me even though it was there driver that did it. oh well.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Get back to me if you're having any more problems with your displays and OS X. An IM is always faster. ;)