Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Circlerun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
Hey everyone.
I could really use your expertise.

I'm having a driver issue. I'm running a first generation boot camp installment with the graphics card. ATI X1600 Radeon.
I was installing Directx SDK and when I restarted my computer I got to the windows partition for a brief second only for the computer to suddenly reboot with no warning
I got a split second glimpse of a blue screen with a lot of white digits which I suspect was the Bios . ( It was literally a fraction of a second so nothing was really discernable)
Now my display looks like it's been tye dyed. The tyedye display has spilled over into the OS X partition.The colors are really distorted. The only contrasts that seem fine are the black and white shades. The windows logo starts up looking normal but then a couple of seconds the distorted color sets in. First I tried to roll back the driver which yeilded no success. Then I uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them using the Macintosh Drivers CD the bootcamp installment burns for you which contains the correct drivers. Then I tried to do the OS X re-install and everything looked normal (Cobalt blue screen and normal looking beach ball wheel and mouse) up until it restarted automatically half way through and then returned to looking like an tye dye interface. I also did a Hardware test with the OS X cd and it didn't detect that any of the hardware was malfunctioning. Here's a glimpse of what I'm talking about. This is the Vortec picture in the desktop backgrounds in windows XP.
I was wondering if you guys could verify as to whether this is a dead set software or hardware issue. .
Or, could this perhaps be a color palettize error that can be corrected easily?

I have provided two images below as to the comparison.
Tech House 1 is a example of normal coloration (pre-ATI error)
Tech House 2 is a photoshopped but accurate example of what I'm seeing now.

http://img80.imageshack.us/f/techhouse.jpg/
http://img529.imageshack.us/f/techhouse2.jpg/

I apologize about the long-winded note but I'm really lost here folks/

To be honest,
I've never been a happy XP user other than the fact that I am an avid ACID PRO user.

Attachments

• Tech House.jpg
    Tech House.jpg
    535.2 KB · Views: 93
  • Tech House 2.jpg
    Tech House 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 68

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
You have a failing graphics card. It's not a software issue. If it's only software, it should not be shown in the OSX Partition since they use different drivers for the same card. Windows Drivers aren't comparable on the OS X side and vise versa.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.