Driver issue with Windows 7 on imac without boot camp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by blueskyflyers, Sep 15, 2015.

1. blueskyflyers macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I could use some insight here on an issue I'm having with an imac (20-inch, early 2009). I am not very computer savvy, so bear with me. I installed a new 250 GB SSD into this imac, along with 8 GB RAM, used a USB drive with Windows 7 64-bit on it and just straight up installed it into this imac, no boot camp or anything. Why? I don't know, it sounded quicker. I downloaded and installed NVIDIA drivers and this thing has been working great for the last month or two. Now out of nowhere I can only boot up in safe mode, regular boot up and repair both freeze at the "loading windows" page. Under "Devices and Printers" I see my webcam and PC both have yellow triangles with exclamation marks meaning "troubleshoot". I get the message "The driver for unknown device is not installed". In the Action Center I have messages saying "your webcam is not working properly because a compatable driver is not available for this version of windows" and "A new driver for your chipset is available, go online to download the update".

Ok so that's what I am currently working with. Windows Update will not open and when I click on the link to update the chipset I get the error message "Your computer was unable to download the solution at this time..". I have a good hard-wired internet connection.

I know apple supplies the drivers for windows, but when I go to open them it says my system is incompatible, probably because I didn't partition with boot camp.

So my question for you is, do I need to wipe the SSD, install Mac OS to boot camp to Windows or is there another way around this?

Thank you for any help!

2. doynton macrumors 6502

You don't need to re-install and it is nothing to do with partitioning with bootcamp. The bootcamp drivers have a list of valid models and operating systems - sometimes you have to add your model to the "allowed list", sometimes you have to install in compatibility mode. It is definitely what you need to install though.

What version of Bootcamp drivers are you trying to install and what is the exact error?

I'm using bootcamp version 4 on 2007 mbp and version 6 on a 2012 (both running Windows 10 now). The 2006 mbp I had to fiddle with to get the drivers to install but both are working fine.

3. Gjwilly macrumors 68030