driver shoots cyclist in the head for having a kid with him

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Keebler, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

2. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Wow, the helmet stopped the bullet? Thank god he had a helmet on then...

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Perhaps I am reading it all wrong, but your thread title is a bit odd.
    They had a child together? ;)

4. MacVixen macrumors 6502

^^ +1 - exactly what I thought ;)

Back to the story.... indeed there must be more to this. The firefighter thought the road was too busy to be riding a bicycle with a child, so he SHOT the father?! That doesn't even make any sense. Thank goodness for the helmet. And how horrible for the wife and child to witness this as well. I wonder - was the shooter in his own vehicle, walking down the road? Craziness...

5. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

WTF. That's nutty. I do NOT want to move to Asheville.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Wow, that firefighter is a complete nutjob. I hope he is convicted and sent to prison for a long time.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This story is pretty wow.... :eek:

I smell an advertising campaign... :D

8. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I just can't believe the helmet stopped the bullet. Those things never seemed all that strong.

9. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

I assumed that the bullet went through the edge of the helmet and missed the head. So yeah, I don't believe the helmet stopped the bullet :eek:

10. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

That is disturbing.

Also, disturbing is the fact that the fire fighter got paid leave time while it's being investigated.

So much for the local Fire Depot. being a community role model.

11. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Still innocent until sentenced guilty. Even with all the evidence against the guy he is still to be treated as innocent but expected guilty.
    Once he has a trial the pay stops and he goes to jail for a long hard think, and his assets are arrested that way were not victimising him and the trial is fair and just.

12. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

Ya, i was confused

13. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

Wow, this is sparta. He'd have to have a lot of bullets if he came down to the Netherlands, too. It's not out of the ordinary to see a mother cycling with two children on the bike (one on a front seat, one in back seat), while holding an umbrella with one hand.

14. MacVixen macrumors 6502

The interesting part about it being paid leave, is that I assume the fire fighter was off duty - there is no mention of him being in an official car - and the article said that he has "now" been identified as a firefighter. Meaning he must have been acting as a private citizen when he shot the guy - why does he get paid administrative leave for that? I work for a local government myself - if I were arrested in my off-hours I would be placed on unpaid leave, not "adminstrative leave" :confused:

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

They do have to be able to stop the road and cars damaging your head so I'm not totally surprised they stop a bullet.

16. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Yeah, but both drivers and cyclists in the Netherlands are used to it. I pass through Amsterdam a couple times a year and I never get used to seeing a well dressed woman, high heels and everything, bicycle by.

Hah. I don't know about Asheville, but IME, some small town fire departments in the South are among the most corrupt organizations I have ever worked with.

17. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

You're joking, right?

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

A bullet may be fast, but its not very big so doesn't have much force/momentum. Things like cigarette lighters and bibles have been known to stop bullets too.

19. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Hey - I grew up in Asheville and have lived all over. Great place to live (look up the rankings). I have yet to live ANYWHERE there have not been nut jobs. That having been said, I agree...WTF?

20. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

And most of those cigarette lighter and bible stories are unconfirmed urban legend.

A bicycle helmet is essentially a light plastic cover over styrofoam. It's meant to absorb, then the force of an impact. They're good for when your head collides with the tarmac. They're not good for small, hard, fast things. You can take an ice pick or a knife and poke holes directly through most bike helmets with very little force. It simply doesn't have the structure to stop a bullet.

And yes, light, high velocity bullets are easily deflected but I presume this was a pistol round - slower, heavier and LESS likely to be deflected off of a semi rigid object in this type of scenario.

21. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

yup..you're right. i wrote that quickly before taking the kids out. I can see what you mean :)

22. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Wow

Did you guys even read the article. The helmet did NOT stop the bullet. The bullet merely went through the helmet without hitting him, it "grazed" the helmet, penetrating the shell.

"...bullet penetrated the outer lining of the helmet but did not actually hit the victim..."

That being said, a bullet, even from a 22, will ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS go through ANY bike helmet. The guy simply missed.

On another note, I experienced some roag rage vs bike the other day. My friend and I were riding our bikes home from the gettin' place, down a commercial block. (On commercial roads, its ILLEGAL to do anything but walk in a sideWALK) We were on bike, going with the flow of traffic. Some girl started honking and screaming at us, to "GET OUT OF THE F'IN ROAD, GET ON THE SIDEWALK" like we were a huge inconvenience. I turned around and not-too-politely hollered back "Its illegal, handle it!."

A block or two later, she zooms by, and sprays a jet of MACE at us, as we were biking under a freeway bridge, with cars whizzing by going 30!! Luckily she did not hit us, and I got her plate number and filed an assault report. Hope that moron got some jailtime.

23. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

good for you on calling the cops. needless to say something was wrong with her. mace? on bicycle riders? brutal.

24. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

That story is just insane. :eek:

...and I thought they had a child together too ;)

25. Dagless Suspended

Dagless