Drivers for Windows images imported with VM Converter

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by NewbieUS, Apr 11, 2008.

1. NewbieUS macrumors newbie

Hi, folks.

I imported the Windows 2000 installation from my old computer as a virtual machine into my Macbook using VMware Converter. I am running the Win2K installation using Fusion. However, the USB ports, built-in iSight camera and audio (speakers and microphone) don't work. There is not even the "recognizing new hardware" applet that usually appears when an unrecognized device is plugged in. Of course, there is also no list in Windows' Device Manager of these "problem" devices -- since they're not even recognized as being foreign!

The reason I want to run the Win2K installation is that it's small. (Also, I already paid for the bloated Vista installation and am not in the mood to buy XP -- yet.) Everything else about the Win2K virtual machine running through Fusion is fine. But I would like to get the USB ports, iSight and audio working.

Note that, opening the Win2K installation using Fusion, there is not an option to insert the OS X (Leopard) disk to have the Macbook drivers installed. I think that works only for Boot Camp installations and Fusion's "Easy Install" option -- the latter of which works only with full version of an operating system (not with virtual machines created with VMware Converter).

Does anyone have any suggestions for (1) finding drivers and (2) having Windows prompt to install them?

Thanks very much.