Drivers Republic

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGav, Jun 6, 2008.

1. iGav macrumors G3

This has the potential to be really rather good, founded by the (brilliant) Monkey (Chris Harris, ex-Autocar) and Richard Meaden (Co-founder EVO magazine).

Welcome to the Republic. :cool:

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Didn't they get the memo? The era of the modern motor car is over. It's all battery operated, save you from yourself automated, dull as pants from here on in. Bugger.

:p

3. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I don't think so... :confused: But after the last series of Top Gear, they obviously did. ;) :D

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Been live for over a month hasn't it? Personally I found the "magazine" bit really difficult to read. What's the point in trying to replicate a glossy magazine on screen: it's a different media. Play to the strengths of being on a website, don't f it all up by trying to emulate paper.

The videos are OK though...

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The idea is horrible. I wouldn't want regular people to write about cars. Just take a look at the advice given out in the Buyers Advice forum at MR. It's just full of people passing bad advice to another person, who then believes it and passes it on to other people. I honestly think that half the posts in that forum are full of bad information. I don't personally consider myself one of those people, but I can imagine lots of pseudo-experts stating their opinion as fact, when it could have been made up on the spot.

If they made them "wiki"-style articles, where bad info can be edited by a bunch of trusted reviewers for that site, then OK.

6. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

More to sirs liking now?

That's why I stopped reading Winding Road come to think of it. :p

Indeed... :D Particularly enjoyed the RS6 vs C63 piece, I'm surprised the RS6 doesn't step off better, had I not seen the drag they did up on the moors, I'd have been convinced the C63 was benefiting from the additional adhesion of the Silverstone asphalt, but the C63 really does takeoff... even more surprising though is that the RS6 absolutely caned it around a lap, given its weight, not entirely expected... :p

I don't know... if the people are writing about cars they actually own (or at least have driven), then their real world opinions are just as valid.

You mean like here on MacRumors?

Q: I'm looking for something faster than my old Honda Civic, I'm thinking a Porsche?
    A: How about a Honda Civic Si?

Q: I want to buy a classic car, what should I buy?
    A: Maybe a '96 Honda Civic?

Etc, etc, etc... :rolleyes:

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The Buying Advice forum I referred to IS at MR. ;)

The articles wouldn't be any better on that website if contributed to by everyone.

8. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Actually, scrub that... I've just realised what you were going on about.

Reminds me of a discussion I had with lecturers at my Uni, regarding the digital versions of Illuminated Manuscripts at the British Library. :p

Oh, :p :p :p

Though I get the impression that on a website targeted at enthusiasts, the words Honda Civic will be seldom uttered. ;)

I think it has the potential to work really well, without such interaction from it's readers, it becomes just another generic car-mag, we'll see how it develops though.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Actually, you may be right. Mainly car enthusiasts will bother to write prose about a car they once drove. Sure, you'll get the silly teenagers who just want to go from 0-100 kph as fast as possible in a straight line, but I think the forum-style approach (if they have that) will straighten out the contributors who just post crap. They'll put pressure on each other to churn out something good.

Possibly. ;)

10. iGav thread starter macrumors G3