Drives are V.Slow in new MAc Pro 09 under XP in bootcamp

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by RobP, Mar 14, 2009.

1. RobP macrumors member

Is anyone else noticing this?

Under bootcamp in XP Pro my hardrives seem to be exceptionally slow. Reading these forums it looks like there was an issue in 2006, but are others still experiencing this?

All my software installs under XP are taking a very long time and XP itself seems pig slow, something I wouldn't expect for an 09 mac pro.

RobP

2. RobP thread starter macrumors member

Seems not. But just to give an idea, I started installing Windows games at 1700 today and 3 games later it is now 2349hrs - this can't be right?

Installing Race Driver Grid and so far its been going 50 mins and still has a long way to go.

It is looking increasingly likely that I will drop my current bootcamp partition. Performance is just way too poor to make it a viable means of accessing XP.

Its a shame, because I know there is power in the Mac Pro, because FSX runs pretty much pegged at 26-30 FPS with everything Maxed out. But alas it stutters when it needs to access the harddrive.

RobP

3. RobP thread starter macrumors member

I'm beginning to wonder whether I have a dodgy boot-camp installation.

Just had a look at the device manager and there seem to be a lot of devices that lack drivers or are not working. Most of them are called 'Base System Device' or 'System Interrupt Controller'.

See attached screenshot for details.

RobP

Attached Files:

4. Macpropro80 macrumors 6502

I remember that happening when I reinstalled Xp on my cousins dell, You have to install all the drivers, those seem to be processor related or chipset related.