Drives duplicated entries in Disk Utility

Discussion in 'macOS' started by velocityg4, Feb 1, 2012.

1. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

For some reason Mac OS X has gone over some drive. It will pop up 5 or 6 windows in one pass saying a disk is unrecognizable and needs to be initialized. I had kept hitting ignore since I am working on other problems on the computer.

Anyways, I finally open disk utility and find some drive entries are duplicated numerous times in Disk Utility.

Untitled-2.jpg Untitled-3.jpg Untitled-4.jpg Untitled-5.jpg

None of these BACKPACK Hard Drive Media are actually drives connected to the computer. They do not eject. When I run verify disk on the drives actually connected all report back as OK.

Unfortunately I'm supporting this computer remotely so I cannot just plug/unplug drives.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. velocityg4 thread starter macrumors 68040

velocityg4

4. simsaladimbamba

Is Disk Utility the only application behaving like this?
    What Mac OS X version is that?
    Does it also happen in another, even temporarily created, user account?

5. nDarkness macrumors newbie

Have you tried repairing permissions on the start up disk? Enter the command below into Applications=>Utilities=>Terminal and post the results:

Code:
    ls -al /Volumes/

6. velocityg4 thread starter macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Anyways I had repaired permissions on the boot drive. The other three drives actually connected are data drives and back up. So only verify/repair disk was performed. I can't run that terminal command since I finished the main repair earlier in the day. This was just a side issue I was requested to investigate.

If the problem continues and the person is willing to pay for me to investigate I will. Otherwise it will remain a mystery and they will live with the problem.