Drive's GPT is borked, can't backup files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pauldacheez, Feb 15, 2010.

1. pauldacheez macrumors newbie

Hello all!

I have a 1 TB external hard drive formatted as GPT with an HFS+ volume on it. I tried making an NTFS volume on it using Windows 7's Disk Management (which I will never use again). It asked if I wanted to make the drive a "Simple" drive, and I blindly agreed.

Now I have an NTFS volume, but I can't access my HFS+ volume. Disk Utility, Drive Genius and Disk Warrior don't recognize there is any HFS partition. Paragon Partition Manager can read the files (even with last modified dates and such), but gives me errors if I try backing up the files or the volume itself.

I have another 1 TB drive to copy everything to, but copying it's the thing I can't seem to do.

Can anyone recommend any utility or method that can either:
    1. Repair or rebuild the GPT, or
    2. Copy the files onto another volume?

Thank you all for your help.

2. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

While I have no personal experience with it, TestDisk is apparently a tool that can restore partitions and help recover data.

It's also free, unlike DiskWarrior and DriveGenius. :)

3. pauldacheez thread starter macrumors newbie

I deleted that new NTFS partition (I have it backed up), then used that tool and IT WORKED!!! I cannot thank you enough, for the last time I was able to access the volume was in November! <3

4. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I'm really happy to hear it worked for you!

I'm keeping a copy of it around just in case I ever run into problems in the future. Your experience as well as that of those who left feedback on MacUpdate indicates that it can often do the job where DiskWarrior and Drive Genius stumble.

Oh, and you can't beat the price either. :)

Cheers.

5. pauldacheez thread starter macrumors newbie

Man, that hard drive's been annoying me for months. I can't express how grateful I am for people like you! <3