Drives in old Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by boazjoe, Nov 22, 2013.

1. boazjoe macrumors member

I have a 3 year old time capsule. Unfortunately, I did not have it on a surge protector. (save the flame, please. I have suffered enough.) Is it possible to get repaired? If not, can I remove and use the drives? Do not want to tear apart if that is not possible because of, well, whatever. Thanks for the advice.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It sounds like the internal logic board got fried. I don't think you will ben be able to find anybody to fix it. The drive is a just a standard 3.5" desktop drive, so assuming it did not get fried also, you can pull it out and reuse it.

3. boazjoe thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I was not sure if Apple had some propriety doohickey thingamabob that was non-standard a la blade SSDs in it or not. Since it is probably not repairable, I think I will pull it apart and see what I see.

4. Big Ron macrumors 6502

Big Ron

I have had two old Time Capsules fail on me, I have sucessfully removed their inner hard drives. They are bog standard affairs and are completely re-useable in external enclosures. The only issue for me was heating the base of the TC up with a hair dryer to soften the glue. Softening the glue allows one to remove the rubber without damaging it too much, not a consideration in your case if the TC's are fried/dead.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Look for a new 4TB Time Capsule tower on Black Friday and save the aggregation.