Drives keep unmounting

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Soundhound, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Soundhound macrumors 6502a

I have several firewire drives connected to my 27" i7 2.93 ghz 2010. One or more of them I find are unmounted, and I have to restart to see them again.

I thought I had solved the problem by getting a powered firewire hub, and by unconnecting my older Drobo. After doing those two things, the drives had stayed mounted for a few weeks. But now it's starting to happen again. Not as often as before, but it's definitely recurring.

I've had the iMac checked out several times at an authorized mac shop and they say everything's fine.

It does happen when I get a crash or near crash sometimes. But it also has happened when everything's running just fine.

Anyone have an idea what I might be able to look at to solve this? I got tech tool pro, but it doesn't seem to have a section for this particular issue. I also use Disk Warrior, and Disk Utility etc.

thanks!!

2. FreemanW macrumors 6502

I would start by simply checking the settings in your "Energy Saver".

3. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's set for computer to never sleep, display to sleep after 15 mins.

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Neander Valley, Germany; just outside Duesseldorf
    I had this problem with a MacAlly FW case one time. I turned out to be a firmware problem with the enclosure's controller. MacAlly never released an update and that enclosure hasn't been used for more than 5 years.

5. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

It seems to happen with all manner of drives for me. I have ssds, 7200 heads, usb and FireWire, and a Drobo. Ack!