Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whatnobeer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
Hi,

Im about to receive a new 15" 2016 Pro, which I'm pretty stoked about. I'd ideally like to be able to drive my 2 25" 2K monitors using 1 of the supplied USB C ports, just not sure what adapters etc I need.

I currently have 1 of the monitors connected with a display port to mini-displayport cable to my Macbook Air. The other is sitting unused, but has the same connections, HDMI, display port, DVI.

Are there any hubs or dongles that will take 2 USB-C display port connects and throw it down a USB C connection?

Qwaf

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2010
So Thunderbolt 3 natively carries DisplayPort and can run multiple from a single port, so it's definitely possible. However the existing adapters to do that currently don't work with the new Thunderbolt 3 chip on in the new 2016 Pros and Apple disabled in software legacy support for the older generation chip.

e.g. https://www.startech.com/AV/Converters/Video/thunderbolt-3-to-dual-displayport~TB32DP2

You can enable these unsupported devices with a software change, but personally I'm waiting for the newer generation supported devices to come out rather than risking any potential damage by enabling these unsupported devices.

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
Right now you'd have to use two ports to drive two monitors. Eventually if the promises turn out and either the lightning 3 docks are updated to work with Apple's implementation of Lightning 3 or Apple does a bios update that makes the ports compatible it may happen. But not yet.

kb3tzt

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2016
this fix seems not to be in the near future, as the 21.5" ultra fine display dose not support daisy chaining the monitors at this time. at least this is what I've been told.

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
You need a TB3 accessory - most likely a docking station - that splits two DP1.2 streams into two separate ports (HDMI, DP, DVI – doesn't matter)

whatnobeer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
You need a TB3 accessory - most likely a docking station - that splits two DP1.2 streams into two separate ports (HDMI, DP, DVI – doesn't matter)
Looks like this is the easiest solution at the moment, thought most of the docks I could see from a quick search were pretty expensive. I guess maybe that's just the price we pay.

Yoshimura

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2012
You could daisy chain two PD monitors but only in mirror mode. Unfortunately, macOS doesn't support 2 streams in Extended mode. Windows on the a Mac does.

The only solution I know is this triple display dock. However, it uses DisplayLink (which is not recommended for gaming or HD video) to drive the additional monitors.

http://plugable.com/products/ud-ultcdl/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.