Driving a left-hand drive car in the UK

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by macuser154, Sep 22, 2009.

1. macuser154 macrumors 6502

I am wondering how well people in the UK take to driving a left-hand drive car in the UK. I am wondering because I have the opportunity to import a left-hand drive car into the UK. I haven't got my license either so I don't know how well I would cope.

How has everyone else coped?

2. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Where from, what sort of car and what sort of cost?

I can't imagine it being any different to driving an RHD car in Europe, which isn't all that difficult. You'd suffer with visibility at some junctions though.

You say you don't have your license. How old are you? Have you driven before?

3. ryan macrumors 6502

I drive a left-hand drive car here in the states and generally don't have any problems other than sometimes activating the wipers when I meant to turn on the turn signal. :) Left hand turns at intersections can be a little scary at times but I just use extra caution and it's all good.

4. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Jeremy Clarkson seems to cope just fine!

You might want to pass your DSA tests in a right-hand drive car first.

5. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

Why would LHD be a problem in the states? Have I misunderstood?

My dad had a LHD TR6 and he was always fine. Just be careful overtaking.

6. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Maybe he means RHD? In the US/Canada, Left-Hand Drive cars are the norm. In the UK/Asia/Australia/Everywhere else, It's Right Hand Drive cars in the norm.

7. Barkaritaville macrumors newbie

There are a few Caribbean islands that I have visited that have left hand drive cars that are driven on the left hand side of the road (importing cars from the US is cheaper then Europe). The main things that I have noticed about driving in that situation are 1) it is harder to pass slow vehicles or make lane changes because you cannot see around larger vehicles until you have changed lanes 2) parallel parking is easier, but pulling out into traffic from being parked is harder because again you can not see around larger vehicles until you have pulled out and 3) the possibility of crossing over the center line is greater (by mistake), but hitting the curb is less likely while driving (I'll take hitting a curb over a head on collision any day). One thing about those Caribbean islands is that everyone is generally driving left hand drive cars on the left and they generally drive down the center of the road anyway. Although the novelty of having a car different then most everyone else might seem cool (and cheeper if you indeed you can find a deal to import one), the greater risk involved driving it should be taken into consideration. Your situation is different then what I had to deal with in that you are already used to riding in cars on the left side of the road, but I had to drive on the side opposite to what I was used to. Good luck with whatever you choose.

8. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Since the majority of the world drives on the right, why would they make Right Hand Drive the norm? All the cars I've seen in Europe outside of the UK and Ireland have been Left Hand Drive (since they also drive on the right).

9. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

There are hundreds if not thousends of people in the UK who drive imported cars with the sheering wheel on the left, for example people who drive classic Caddilacs, DeLoreans, Mustangs, etc.

It should be no problem once you're used to it.

10. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Look at it this way, US- Right sided roads, left handed driving
    Everywhere else- Left sided roads, Right handed driving- The norm.

11. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Um, you might want to click on the link in my previous post. Far more countries have "right sided roads" than left ones.

12. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Huh. Nevermind what I said then. I did not know that most of Europe was being driven on the right hand side of the road.