Driving a second monitor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Jefe's MacAir, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

I installed Mavericks the day it was released. One of the first things I tried was using Apple TV on my 55" 720p TV as a second monitor. I worked well except it's laggy. The mouse is laggy and video is jumpy and laggy especially in HD. As a static monitor it was fine.

I'm running 8/i7. Is the TV just too large to utilize this feature?

2. Shubbeh macrumors member

The physical size of the TV has nothing to do with it, what matters is the number of pixels you have to move, you said it's a 720p TV so that answers that.
    Had you ever tried it before, with another version of OS X? Did it work better then? Or is the ability to do that a feature that didn't exist before Mavericks (I don't know about that, hence my question) ?
    Anyway, you're doing this wirelessly, correct? Chances are that's what the problem is.

3. dean1012 macrumors regular

Prior to Mavericks, you could mirror your display to a TV using Apple TV but could not extend your desktop.

I also have this lag on my network. Watching a movie is fine but moving the mouse or a screen produces a noticable lag.

I have an 802.11ac time capsule and my 2013 MBA has 802.11ac so those aren't the bottlenecks.

The problem is that Apple TV only supports 10/100 ethernet and 802.11n wireless at this time. The next gen Apple TV will hopefully upgrade to gigabit ethernet and 802.11ac wireless.

You'll probably get some improvement hooking into ethernet but with a good wireless N router with good signal there may be little to no difference.