Driving counted as movement

Drich290195

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
So I do a fair bit of driving and when looking back through the sources for walking and running at certain points the watch counts movement where obviously I’m driving.

Is there anything I can do to stop this happening. I have the new series 3 with cellular.

Any help appreciated it is ruining my distance tracking.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I am afraid not unless you want to shut your phone and AW down while driving.

I get lots of steps counter while mowing the lawn with the riding mower.

Do not get over sensitive to accuracy as these number are just to be used as a guide.

Reactions: AppleKarma

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Yep, that happens to me as well, it closed the circle on more then one occasion even though I hadn't done anything but drive for 3 hours :eek:

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Conversely, you can even add to your Stand ring on a six-hour drive by pointing your wrist downwards.

Imagine you're the watch. You have no eyes, and you can't hear. All you know is whether you're sideways, upside-down, or right side up. The wrist you're riding on is moving up and down. Sometimes it dangles sideways. What's it doing, then? Well, it's moving.

If driving stresses a person out, they'll also have an elevated heart rate. The watch will think, Ah, my owner might be exercising.

I'm sure there are ways to tell the watch more about what's really going on, like when the phone goes into Do Not Disturb While Driving mode (but that's negated by CarPlay), or checking its velocity (using the GPS on either the watch or the phone), and maybe we'll get there eventually.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

harlenmm77

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2016
I spent 5 hours out on my jetski and collected close to 15,000 steps from it. Granted it’s a lot more strenuous of an activity compared to driving.

Usma36

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2017
I have this same issue. I don’t understand why it can’t be an option to have the watch disable step counting at anything more than 10 mph or so. I commute a few days a week, and on those days I’m thousands of steps off

MJ22

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2017
This happens with my Fitbits too. No piece of technology is perfect. On things like a mower, a jetski, or in my case, an ATV, there is too much vibration for the device to determine it’s not a person moving.

Reactions: AppleKarma

Usma36

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2017
GPS is an easy fix for that. Or even a pause button for fitness tracking.