Driving Cross Country

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by pimentoLoaf, Apr 5, 2009.

1. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

My folks used to do it all the time when I was young.

I have yet to try. :eek:

Any of you take 2-3+ week vacations via the car/suv/pickup?

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

We used to take caravan holidays when I was a kid. Cornwall, tour Scotland, Conwy all that kind of thing. I never liked the long drives myself and developed ways of avoiding them, even now at 23 the motion of a car makes me really tired.

But every few years we would drive to my families place in Poland. 3 days of driving, gah. You quickly learn to put up with cheap flights.

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

One of my friends did a massive trip, he said always bring enough socks...

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

When I was younger (in my 20's) - I did several 2000 mile plus road trips, each lasting 3-6 weeks. I'd usually have a loose theme/plan to tie my trip together (eg: visiting hotsprings, obscure landmarks etc).

Pretty much always in the summer, and mostly in the Western US. Would go with a few friends, and we'd camp as much as was practical, and stay in motels every now and then for the luxury of showers and clean sheets.

Truckstop diners and weird businesses on non-interstate highways were awesome. Some amazing memories. Lots of great National Park experiences too.

I highly recommend if you have the time. Sadly, I can;t seem to find it anymore...besides gas was a lot cheaper back then.

5. Surely Guest

Surely

I drove from Toronto to Los Angeles in February of last year. It was quite the adventure. We stopped in a bunch of places along the way- most notably Chicago and Las Vegas- but the scenery during the drive was amazing. The mountains in Colorado, the desert in Nevada- beautiful.

6. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i've did a 2,500 mile trip (round trip) with 2 others. did the trip in 4 days though (40 hours driving).

but i would love to drive to WWDC one of these days!

7. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

I used to do summer work in various places on the other side of the country. I've driven from Idaho to MD/VA/NC roughly 6 times in the past few years. I guess it's technically not across the WHOLE country, but ~2200 miles at a time. 4 times by myself. It's more fun with your lady-friend. :D

8. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Done sea-to-shining-sea on a number of occasions (best time VA Beach to San Diego: 51 hours), and countless 2/3rds and half-continent trips. Don't miss them all that much, really, just sheer balls-out "get there in as little time as possible" trips. Would like to do it again only for a Blue Highway run, either on a bike or RV it with SWSBO.

9. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

After college I took a 9200 mile road trip in 19 days. We started in Oakland, went to LA, drove to New orleans, up to baltimore. Leaving baltimore we decided to call the Oakland A's after game radio show, and they loved that we were out on this adventure, so they had us make a big sign to bring with us to baseball games (we weren't really touring baseball parks, but had planned on stopping at any we could). Brought the sign to NY, Then boston. Then they got us free tickets to see the A's play in Kansas City, were we got to sit with the players family's who got us some autographs (tim hudson and Jason Giambi) on the sign. From there to Chicago (new comiskey, cubs weren't in town), across to seattle, and finally back home. The next day we took part in the taco eating contest on the field of the oakland coliseum.

We slept at friends houses, lots of truck stops. Did a lot of 24 hour driving. Got out stuff stolen in baltimore, didn't shower for days. By the end of it, my friend and I hated each other, which was a problem since we had gotten a place together to move into afterwards too. We worked it out eventually though.

We went hours out of way to see Mt Rushmore and the corn palace, cause, you know, when the heck am I gonna be in south dakota again.

Great trip, I totally recommend doing something like it while you are still young and don't have the responsibilities. Get a truck with a camper shell, put some pillows and blankets down in the back. Stock up with beef jerky. Always take your leftovers with you for a snack, don't go into strip clubs in new orleans during the day. Thats about all the advice I have for you.