Driving directions for the road!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by akshtray, Nov 25, 2007.

1. akshtray macrumors newbie

I will be getting a new Ipod touch for my Bday next week. The hardware has already been bought but my wife wont let me play with it till my bday .. :)

I do plan to Jailbreak my Ipod and am pretty confident that I can Jailbreak it without any problems. I was wondering if there is any app. that I can get for the touch which will basically let me use driving directions on the road. Eg: I am at home or at work where I have wi-fi and I can use the Google Maps app. (or any other app.) to get driving directions. I then go on the road where I do not have wi-fi. Is there any possible way that I can save those directions and use them while driving?

Thanks.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well if the application exists and you plan to JB it right away then I'd say try google and see if there isn't an iphone/ipod touch application you can run. I did a quick search but did not find anything...then again I wasn't looking all that hard.

3. hecks macrumors regular

lol

Maps.app caches your recent searches, should be enough for your current journey. Just step through it all once before you set out., then try with WiFi disabled.

4. akshtray thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

I could not find much information about it when I tried searching for it either. I also had read a bit about the Maps app caching the information but there was no specific confirmation about it. I am going to try that and see if that works.

I do hope when the Touch gets open for custom apps. come Feb 08 there is some app which gives us the ability to do the same.

Thanks.

5. CopyChief macrumors member

Yes, this works. I have used it for short journeys - so I can't confirm if it works for long, multi-step, cross-country trips. Anyway, what others have said here is accurate: while you're in a wifi zone, load your desired directions, then step through them. Go back to the starting point and you're ready to go. Obviously on the step-by-step maps you won't be able to scroll much left or right if you want to go off the beaten path as it were -- but maps is a great addition to the ipod touch even without edge access.

6. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I have been messing about with the mail app and maps and found that if you go onto google maps plan a journey you can then send email to one setup on the touch open the email click the link sent via google maps and it opens it in the maps app, I think that will be VERY handy to your needs required

if you need any more info on how to do this drop a post and I'll gladly answer (to the best I can) any questions on the matter

7. hecks macrumors regular

8. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

as indicated in the image below set driving directions then hit send

[​IMG]