Driving in the summertime..

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ElectroGhandi, May 24, 2009.

1. ElectroGhandi macrumors regular

ElectroGhandi

So in the summer when we are all wearing flip flops, how are you supposed to drive? My dad to take off the flip flops and drive barefoot, but I tried that and I had trouble pushing the clutch down quickly. How are you supposed to do it?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i know in some states, it is illegal to drive barefoot

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Wear shoes.

Sure, they're hotter. But that whole fiery-death-from-an-accident-you-got-into-because-you-couldn't-stop-or-shift-in-time thing is even worse.

4. ElectroGhandi thread starter macrumors regular

ElectroGhandi

Shoes = flip flops? Or tennis shoes? Are flip flops safe to drive in?

5. acurafan macrumors 6502a

for me t-shirt/boot cut jeans/flip-flops work best :p

some days i just take the gf my car, or relatives' s2000/330i and go up on the best routes and burn of a tank or 2 of gas. summer driving with the top down is amazing: the open air; the smell of the sea, the freshly cut grass; hitting 100mph, gf's hand on your thigh. ;)

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

On the topic of driving in the summertime, did any other manual drivers feel like they were learning to drive stick all over again when they drove with the A/C on for the first time? It was like that for me, turning the A/C on completely changes engine response and how much gas I need to give it when starting from a stop to not stall or get a jerky start.

But when it feels like hell outside and feels like Antarctica inside my car, it's all worth it :D

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i have no problem driving in flip-flops, but its certainly not for everyone. or just wear tennis shoes.

8. ElectroGhandi thread starter macrumors regular

ElectroGhandi

Yes this is true. It's really bad in my Nissan Sentra. It stalls just when crusing! Not even getting started.

9. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I drive barefoot at all times.

I don't own any tie-on shoes, so it's pretty simple to plop the right shoe off before I drive. It actually makes me a safer driver, as I can feel the engagement of the breaks/gas better.

If I ever get pulled over, I'll put my shoe back on before the cop gets to my window. I think barefoot driving is illegal in Texas :eek:

10. acurafan macrumors 6502a

this is more pronounced with low displacement 4-cyl, it is why you buy a manual. bad nuff you already have a huge loss from the crank, torque converters kill it further.

top-down, top-down! :D

11. ElectroGhandi thread starter macrumors regular

ElectroGhandi

I've always lusted after convertibles, but the truth is it would be so impractical for me. 95% of the time, I want to keep my hair combed so a convertible would have its top up anyway. Then in the summertime, I would prefer A/C to convertible top. The only time I'd ever have the top down is when I got done play tennis and am heading home and it was like 75º outside. And that's not often haha.

12. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

that's ridiculous! it would seem to me that women driving in heels is waaaay more dangerous. Why would there be any problem with barefoot driving?

13. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

I would never drive barefoot. Doesn't feel right to me so I think thats dangerous.