Driving Licence Test

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by techlover828, Aug 23, 2008.

1. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I have my driving test on Monday, and I was wondering what words of wisdom you guys have. I'm starting to get pretty nervous :eek: It really doesn't matter anyway since I'm not getting a car right away so it wouldn't matter if I fail once. Anyway just wanted to see what you guys had to say.

2. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Think about what you're doing. Be considerate of other road users (not just drivers, but cyclists and pedestrians too). Take your time and make careful, calculated decisions.

The most important thing is keeping calm. If you can do that, and take a good few deep breaths before doing things, you'll probably do rather well.

And thank God you're not doing the test over here, where it's far more difficult. :p

3. nissan.gtp macrumors 6502

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Whatever you do, do not under any circumstance do a donut in a parking lot with the instructor in your car.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

being clam and collected is the most important thing. be aware of your surroundings and react appropriately.

6. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

The thing that kept me calm was thinking about all the stupid people that had taken the test...

And passed.

7. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

Telling the boy (?) to be calm isnt going to help a whole lot, I know I was nervous has hell both times I took it. I think it kept me on my toes though...

I failed the first time because when I was doing my parallel parking, I totally dominated the curb (to put it lightly). Probably one of the most embarrassing moments of my life, but looking back I laugh at it even amongst my friends that whitened it.

Just take your time...

8. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

My test was very easy. Just remember to come to a complete stop, signal, look, etc.

One tip once you're out on the road, stay out of the left lane unless you're passing people on the right.

9. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

10. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

Ugggh...I am truly dreading my driving test...:eek:

I am about to take the permit test on the 9th and i'm already scared.

11. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

Definitely practice parallel parking. In some places you can go and practice at the place where you'll have to do it for the test. The setup they have with cones and things isn't really a whole lot like actual parallel parking, so practicing on that can help big time. Being relaxed really is the number one thing. Failing isn't the end of the world, though it awfully can seem like it is if it happens. You won't remember the difference once you've had your license for a month or two.

12. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

Permit test wasn't too bad, you just have to study but it's not that hard.

I'm pretty nervous about taking my driving test in Nov. I'm getting better, but I;m not taking drivers ed just learning as I go so I'm thinking I'm somehow gonna mess up. But I don't think CA has to do parallel parking so that's a plus.

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

My parallel parking was miserable during the test but I was successful in the end. I guess the examiner just cared that I was successful and not the grace of it. :rolleyes:

14. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Remember to project confidence; you want the instructor to feel safe and calm in your car. Don't take it too far by being cocky, however.

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

The most nervous I've been on a driver's license test, was one that I took a couple of years ago back in the states.

I've been living and driving in Japan for so long, I was worried that I would screw up based upon the differences, which here in Japan are normal to me.

The test went fine. The key is to remain calm, alert, and don't try to do anything fast. Just take your time and be safe.

16. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

You should have a few beers to help you relax :D

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I knew I forgot to do something! :p

18. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

Ummm, I can suggest taking a small vehicle. I took it in a 2007 Chevy Tahoe LT3 with 20 inch rims (if that makes any difference). I can tell you I which we had a smaller vehicle at the time, I did past though. But it was very close and strongly urge you to take the test in something small and agile. Drive for a bit a few hours before test, but don't drive getting close to the test. Relaxing does help, you don't want to be stiff. Also depending on the location you will not have to take to parallel park, as I did not. I only did messed up three(3) time.

1. When we had to do a three point turn, since the Tahoe has a sharp turning radius. I was able to do it in one turn, but that was not what they wanted. It was not a biggy, they did not count it. I just had to do it over again. (Use you left signal)

2. When I was backing up, I failed to look behind me. I used the onboard camera on the dash, along with the backup sincere. That is not good at all, you have to look behind you.

3. After I completed the test, I had to park up front. But I failed to use signal turning into the parking lot.... So remember even when you think the test is over with, it's not.

So I only got marked twice, all in all I passed. I also have a safe driver mark on my license. Therefor it lower my insurance, very handy at a young age.

Also the tester is a trained bitch....

I hope that helps!!!

~Steven

Edit: Also call and set an appointment, you don't want to sit around and wait. Allot of people fail it there first time, so don't feel bad. But all the people coming in who failed tend to cry... It may get you nervous, so I would set an appointment.

Also bring in a good quality car, as they do check it out. All safety features have to work, as they do from the factory.

19. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

thanks for the tips, I'll be taking a '98 toyota siena. I'm going to practice parallel parking today, and probably right before the test.

20. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

Well good luck, also should note. The parking place are small, it's normal size park spot. But the cones are on the inside, the Tahoe varely fits.

21. JDR macrumors regular

Just remember that different states have different requirements for the driving test.

In my state (IL), you aren't allowed to have a single error; however, parallel parking usually is not tested. Total driving test time is about 5 minutes. It does vary from location to location, though.

22. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

my friends say it only lasts about 15 minutes.

23. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

One wonders how on earth they expect to be able to determine if someone's driving is acceptable in that time....

:confused:

24. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

in my test i screwed up the first park, i was too far away from the curb. for the second park my back tyre almost hit the curb which would of been an instant fail which is stupid because now i always just nudge my back tyre on the curb as it gives you a perfect amount of space when you straighten up.

25. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

Do it Top Gear style, lol.