Driving me Crazy

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by rom623drh, Jan 17, 2016.

1. rom623drh macrumors newbie

rom623drh

I need printer drivers for my G5 10.5.8 PPC for Brother MFC-J485DW

2. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Try GutenPrint. I think they may have Brother printer drivers

3. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

4. rom623drh thread starter macrumors newbie

rom623drh

5. rom623drh thread starter macrumors newbie

rom623drh

next question, how do i make a complete back up of my PPC G5

6. Hack5190, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016

Hack5190 macrumors 6502a

Hack5190

It really depends on your definition of "complete back up". Apple includes Time Machine and there are 3rd party progs available that run on the PowerPC. I run both SuperDuper! (3rd party) and Time Machine on my Leopard based G5.

Time Machine backs up files on a preset schedule keeping multiple versions, SuperDuper! runs 1 time a day and makes a bootable backup.

7. rom623drh thread starter macrumors newbie

rom623drh

can I then put it on a disc?? if so how???

8. Hack5190 macrumors 6502a

Hack5190

Disc = hard drive, yes. In my G5 the 2nd (ie: non boot) HD is partitioned, one of those partitions is the destination for SuperDuper!. An external USB HD is the destination for Time Machine. This solution was chosen because I would have to suffer a triple HD failure (boot, Super Duper!, Time Machine) to lose everything.

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well…

Consider:

A CD holds around 700mb.
    A DVD holds around 4.7GB
    A DL-DVD holds around 8GB

If the entire contents of your hard drive is less than 8GB then you can realistically burn a DL-DVD disc and have everything backed up to a disc and in order.

I highly doubt the entire contents of your HD is less than 8GB.

DL-DVDs are about double the cost of normal DVDs. And you need to have a DL burner. So, speaking from a general standpoint I assume DVDs for backup. You can backup to multiple DVDs using Disk Utility's Burn feature or find a commercial copy of burn software and use that.

In both cases you will wind up with a thick stack of DVDs, none of which are bootable. Your data will be backed up and easily accessible but as far as restoring from that backup probably not very easy to do.

Lastly, what happens when your data changes? Another long series of burns and another thick stack of DVDs.

If your data is THAT important to you then ok, but realistically this isn't much of an option for most people. This is why hard drive backups to hard drives and cloud storage have become as popular as they have.