Driving me crazy

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wifeofpdx, Feb 5, 2009.

1. wifeofpdx macrumors member

I just installed a utility for my brother printer/fax/scanner. It is a little box that sits in the system tray at the top that when opened allows me to scan into mail, files, etc...

It appears on start up, but if I close it I can't find it again. Where would I look for this app?

I have used spotlight and it doesn't show up...:confused:

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Did it install anything to your Applications folder? Was the installer a .pkg file?

3. wifeofpdx thread starter macrumors member

No, nothing in apps or utilities.

The name of the installer (is that what you call them on the Mac?) was "BrotherTwain".

It put a disk on my desktop ( still haven't figured that one out) and when you click on the disk it brings up the installer.

Any ideas?

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It sounds like you never really installed anything but ran the software from the 'disk' the disk image put on your desktop. Find the CD and when the little disk appears, you have to drag the file in it to your applications folder.

5. wifeofpdx thread starter macrumors member

Nope, I installed something. I had to restart and all. The cd is long removed and the computer has been restarted many times since. The little icon always shows up at the top task bar. Once I close it, I can't find it to re-open it.

In windows, is put a program folder in the start list, and in the programs folder if that helps at all.

On another note... how many jetskis do you own??

6. ihabime macrumors 6502

Welcome to the forums, just a quick point, on OSX those are called menu extras, they aren't quite the same as system tray programs in windows. Unfortunately, companies that are used to programming for windows get lazy and treat them the same. Check system preferences under the print & fax section to see what options you have.

Can you describe the functionality of the menu, is it necessary to use the printer? If it is, you might be stuck leaving it running. If it's a properly programmed menu extra, it shouldn't take any memory or processing power when not being used, but I have seen some printer/scanner software that's horribly written.

7. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

That sounds like a scanner plug-in, similar to what Spotlight uses. I have one like that for my Epson AIO, but it has options to choose either to install an active menu bar item or a dock icon. It also installs a Twain plug-in that allows me to scan images directly into Photoshop using the "file >import" menu.

Look in Library > Application Support >Brother.........

.......Just ask anyone who owned an HP AIO from around 05-07 :D I wonder if they ever got that fixed ????

8. wifeofpdx thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, it is for software scanning and copying. I looked under sys. prefs and nothing.

On the mac, is there normally a printer section where you can configure color, print quality and the like??

9. ihabime macrumors 6502

The System Preferences program in your applications folder should have an icon called "Print & Fax".

You can also get to it by selecting Print from the File menu of most applications, the Printer Pulldown menu has a selection called "Print & Fax Preferences..."