Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Ive driven the 1500 miles along I-95 from N. Florida to Central Massachusetts a few times, but never in the winter.

And I havent lived or driven in New England, with this car, ever. So Im at a true loss as to what to have done to the car before leaving on this roadtrip as well as what to expect driving the 95 corridor during late December.

Coolant to antifreeze seems like a no brainer. As does flashlight, blanket, fix-a-flat, jumper cables and first aid. Alignment, rotate/balance and an oil-change (always pure synthetic) before I leave is already on the list.

But is swapping my "normal" tires for Mud n Snow or all weather worth it? If so should it be for all 4 tires or just the FWD ones? What other considerations should I get looked at before leaving?

Advice for this time of year? Is turning around and saying "eff this" because of the weather seem possible this season so far?

THANKS! :D

Car Specs:

2003 Toyota Matrix (68k purchased in May 2002, wewt, time to add 3k!)
FWD hatchback
no-ABS
half spare and jack

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
Do you have summer tires on your car or are they all seasons? IF you already have all season tires on your car I wouldn't worry about it. If you have summer tires on your car you have a little more to worry about, as they pretty much lose all traction below 40 degrees.

As far as things to bring - I-95 isn't exactly a remote area so I wouldn't worry too much about survival gear. I'd recommend a coat, hat, and mittens and a bag of kitty litter - you can put it under your tires if you get stuck in snow or ice.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Ill have to go out and look at my tires, I havent really looked since I bought them (online of all places was cheaper than local, shipped! but that UPS guy was pissed carrying 2 tires up 2 flights of rickety stairs)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.