Driving two 30" Apple Cinnema Displays with rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nomad110, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Nomad110 macrumors member

Has anyone proven that you can indeed drive two 30" Apple Cinnema Displays with two dual link adapters from the rMBP? Can you be lid open too? Sounds pretty awesome to me and I assume it can happen.

Excited to confirm,
    Nomad

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yep.
    Apple - MacBook Pro with Retina display - Technical Specifications
    Thunderbolt ports and displays: Frequently asked questions (FAQ)

3. Nomad110 thread starter macrumors member

4. gotzero macrumors 68040

Can somebody please confirm this for real, not just reporting the Apple specs. Apple says it works, but all of the reports on forums state the computer cannot run 30"s correctly.

5. iVoid macrumors 65816

Since you'll need the dual link-DVI adapters, it's possible they won't work correctly.

Apple only specifies the resolution is supported, but that doesn't mean a particular combination using the dual link-dvi adapters will work.

6. gotzero macrumors 68040

That would mean it would not work with their own 30"s, which would be a hoot. I run the adaptors on minidisplayport and thunderbolt connections and all of those work fine. There were early reports of issues with the rmbp and 2560x1600, independent of the adaptor. It seems like they are resolved, but I hope someone can test with two displays. I have two displays and adaptors but no rmbp and I do not want to buy to test.