Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WoodNUFC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
A Library
Well at least you're doing it in the right lane..... People do the limit or slower in the left lane. That is where I have a beef with people.

I completely understand!

I figure people have no right to get upset with me if I stick to the correct lane.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Also, more people should be privy to the speed trap avoidance technique. Basically you just flash your lights to oncoming traffic to let them know to slow down so they don't get attacked by bully cops and fined. I was surprised at the number of people who didn't know this.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Also, more people should be privy to the speed trap avoidance technique. Basically you just flash your lights to oncoming traffic to let them know to slow down so they don't get attacked by bully cops and fined. I was surprised at the number of people who didn't know this.

I have also been ghost flashed. People will flash their lights because they think I'm going too fast to slow me down.

Also, a person went into the right lane( everyone was going below the limit in the left lane on a 4 lane road) to create a rolling road block to block me from passing.

I hate people who think they can self police everyone.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
I have also been ghost flashed. People will flash their lights because they think I'm going too fast to slow me down.

Also, a person went into the right lane( everyone was going below the limit in the left lane on a 4 lane road) to create a rolling road block to block me from passing.

I hate people who think they can self police everyone.

Agreed. In fact, what they are doing is WAY more dangerous than speeding. If I saw that and it was very obvious, I'd record it with my phone and take it to the police.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks

I stopped doing that **** decades ago.

If they speed enough to be stopped (usually 20 over on the highway, 10 over in town, less in a school zone) they deserve to be caught.

People forever roar by me in town, only to have me stop beside them at the next light.

Why??

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
I stopped doing that **** decades ago.

If they speed enough to be stopped (usually 20 over on the highway, 10 over in town, less in a school zone) they deserve to be caught.

People forever roar by me in town, only to have me stop beside them at the next light.

Why??

I agree, I haven't seen the flash your lights to warn for a cop thing in a long time. I was under the impression if cops saw you doing it they would pull you over and at least hassle you if they couldn't find a separate reason to ticket because you ruined their trap. I rarely help out my fellow drivers on the road anymore because they've all turned into idiots.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Meanwhile in Victoria (Provincial capital) - they've decided pedestrians rule. So they put some cross walks (complete with curb bulges - where they extend the curbs on either side of the street to narrow the pavement) in the middle of block as well as the corners. You just learn.. you have to ... to drive slow and to watch for pedestrians. They can leap out in front of you at any moment, and they're empowered to.

In my state cars have to YIELD to pedestrians, not STOP (other local states do have STOP so it is a bit confusing when you drive there and wonder why the person in front of you slammed on their brakes for someone on a sidewalk).

A few years ago my town and mostly the town next to me, where I work, started to put up signs in the middle of the road near elderly complexes. Some of them say "State law: stop for pedestrians in crosswalk". Which is not the state law. What's really funny is 50' further on will be the same sign but it says yield. Of course it doesn't matter to any old person driving, they will usually stop anyway.

I agree with the OP on stop sign etiquette. Happens around here too. Someone who is completely stopped and ready to move on by the time I get to the stop sign will signal me through. I just take it, not playing the game.

Once I watched two do this dance on an entrance ramp to a highway. One had the right of way, one had the yield. They both stopped and were waving each other on. I just drove between them. <sigh>

So glad I don't deal with much of a commute these days, I'd go bonkers!

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
I was under the impression if cops saw you doing it they would pull you over and at least hassle you if they couldn't find a separate reason to ticket because you ruined their trap.

I've seen it.

You flash a marked cruiser coming at you, you are an idiot.

You flash a ghost car, well you're somewhat less of an idiot.

In either case, if they are not on a call, they will do a U-turn and stop you for a nice, slow, conversation, and a ticket for improper use of headlights.

:D

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
The vast majority of the population are **** drivers everywhere. And it's just getting worse (as is a lot of things in our society). Blame technology for disconnecting people from what actually matters.

/end thread

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
I've seen it.

In either case, if they are not on a call, they will do a U-turn and stop you for a nice, slow, conversation, and a ticket for improper use of headlights.

I knew it happens. That's why I don't do it. I have no desire to rescue my fellow driver from a ticket they may not deserve by putting myself at risk for one. No thank you

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I've seen it.

Not everywhere:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlight_flashing#section_5

Some states consider flashing headlights a part of free speech.

----------

Agreed. In fact, what they are doing is WAY more dangerous than speeding. If I saw that and it was very obvious, I'd record it with my phone and take it to the police.

I saw a short film once where a bunch of college students blocked speeders by filling up each lane with slower cars. I remember thinking what a bunch of smug ******s. They could have cause a huge crash when some frustrated driver tried to get around or some one was rushing to a hospital gets slowed down. I think this is the link but can't watch it on my iPhone.

http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/55_a_meditation_on_the_speed_limit1

Selmir

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
Sweden
I had my license since January 2003 when I was 18, the minimum age here in Sweden for driving. I recognize those scenarios above and it's shame that people act like monkeys even at your island.

At the continent here in my town there are many four-way-stops where I must plan how to - yes - stop and go. Simple for me indeed. But there are also those who race to those stops only to become first. Or those who just don't stop at all while turning left/right.

Our city have also put chicanes in front of those 4-way-stops so only ONE car at the time can pass through and get to the stop line. But people think they are Sebastian Vettel and drives even faster with their Volvo V70 or Audi A4 Avant (here are MANY horny in caravan cars, even my dad (!)). And of course that accidents pops up.

I think sometimes that traffic schools should have harder requirements and also to teach HOW to avoid this and others things, like how to drive in roads with no Major Road-signs, lots of cross roads and where you must obey one simple rule: right rule (högerregeln in Swedish). It really IS a hazard that so many drivers here don't follow that. If they are stupid and/or lazy I don't know.

Synchromesh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
SF
Driving? More like karting for the Americans? Automatics, haha. ;)

Drive a real car! :p

Oh please. When I was in London circa 2002 about quarter to a third of the cars in the city were also automatics including cabs. So quite a few Brits are karting as well.

On top of that, I drive a modern car with a manual shift and it ain't what it used to be anyway. Manual used to have an awesome mechanical feel and connection with the rest of the car but new cars are computerized so much that this feeling isn't there anymore. It feels like designing engineers were just upset with the idiotic owner who will shift their own gears. They have to compensate for the utter stupidity of this horrible human who won't let the computer control the flow like it would with an automatic. Hate that feeling.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
You'd probably hate driving in Washington, DC then :p

Stop signs don't mean stop 'round these parts. It just means slow down enough where pedestrians will see you coming and stop walking so you can blow through the intersection and save those precious few seconds while on your way to wherever it is you're going.

And on the other hand, we have idiot pedestrians that will walk out in the middle of traffic thinking that people here give a crap about pedestrian walkways. Interesting altercations usually break out when these two types of idiots meet up on the streets of DC.

And this is why I now take the beltway.

What's bad is that the beltway is no better. Especially with the construction going on, people have no regard for lanes. Or the solid lines that means you can't switch lanes. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.