DRM on iTunes TV shows & Movies

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Pandaboots, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Pandaboots macrumors regular

Pandaboots

So I guess there's no way to remove DRM from TV shows and Movie purchases in iTunes? The reason I ask is that sometimes I like to make my own personal compilations of the best scenes from different movies etc. Therefore I have all the great quotes in a nice little 5 minute package for example. Basically I just want to use QT Pro to edit out small video clips or to be able to use video clips in a personal project much like I'd use a song for a slideshow of pictures...I assume there should be no legal issues for me using media for my own enjoyment and not for profit.

The thing that prompted this for me was a recent Colbert Report show featuring Rush, the band. The only way I could get this show was to purchase on iTunes. So I did. However, I'd like to edit out just the part when Rush plays as a music video I can call up. I've been handbraking my personal collections and this was my first show purchased on iTunes. For whatever reason I thought it would play nice with QT, but DRM has it locked down. And in this case, I can't buy it on DVD as this type of show isn't available as a season but rather a greatest hits.

There has to be a better way for DRM to work. I hate having my freedom compromised, even over something as trivial as a dumb TV show.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They have DRM so you can't share it; I know a few music videos in iTunes Plus format, so I guess those are DRM free, but most are still DRM'd

3. Pandaboots thread starter macrumors regular

Pandaboots

DRM understood....DVD's have protection too, but we have handbrake to be able to use them as we please. My question still stands. Is their a handbrake of sorts to remove DRM from digital downloads? Again, this is for the sole purpose of manipulating media to the way I want to watch it...as in a greatest hits of the best clips, etc. of tv shows and movies.

The only reason I buy dvds at all is to handbrake them so I can manipulate them to my liking. However, some media just isn't available via dvd and I don't believe in stealing through torrents. I am fine purchasing media, but do not want to be limited on how I utilize that media for my own personal enjoyment.

4. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

I'd like to know this as well as on another forum, There was this guy who uploaded Disney Shorts - "How To Hook-up Your Home Theatre" in DivX to StageHD and as far as I can find it is only available on iTunes (I tried registering at the site to ask how he did it but for some reason my account isn't activated)

Thread is here, So anyone know how to do it?

5. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

If you right-click and select Get Info, in Options tab you can specify a start and end point. If all you need is to trim the clip so that you just watch the band play, that might be good enough.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

7. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

I'm looking to do the exact same thing for the exact same reason. I love buying from iTunes for the convenience but hate that my purchased downloads can't be manipulated like my purchased DVDs can. It's been a while since this thread was posted to...anyone know of anything new?