DRM removal or ipod detection under virtualization

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by invasian, Jul 25, 2007.

1. invasian macrumors regular

invasian

So many libraries have this overdrive system that lets you download audiobooks. Of course, it only works on windows machines because of DRM issues and windows media player. I run VMWare Fusion, install the overdrive system, and download an audiobook, which comes as several .wma DRMed files. The software lets you burn to CD or transfer to an ipod.

So what's the problem?

1. The virtualized windows does not detect my iPod. Is there some way to have windows detect it? When I plug it in, it is OSX that mounts it.

2. Is there a way (free, windows or osx, preferably osx) to remove the DRM?

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

You have to format your iPod for use with Windows. Then it will be tied to that Windows machine, I think even if it's a virtual one (not sure). Maybe it would be better to burn a CD and re-rip the tracks, even though there will be a quality loss.

3. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

I gave up on my Library's download system for this very reason.

Now I use Safari to request books on CD, Mail to receive a notice when it's in, iTunes to import it, my iPod to listen to it, then my Mac's trash can when I'm done with it.

I figure with all the time I spend on my Mac, it's good for me to go get some fresh air and actually walk to the library (besides, it's right next to the coffee shop!). :p

4. invasian thread starter macrumors regular

invasian

Yea, I figure that's the way I'll do it too. It's just an inconvenience to have to go pick it up. But oh well.