Drobo: 1st Gen USB 2 or 2nd Gen FW800 & USB 2 = $150 price difference

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dcl, Jul 14, 2008.

1. dcl macrumors regular

dcl

Was waiting for Firewire 800 on Drobo, but review below only shows a little difference is speed between Gen 1 & Gen 2

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/08/drobo-second-gen-mini-review/

Drobo 1st = $ 349
    Drobo 2nd = $ 499

If the r/w speed isn't that much more substantial, are there any other reasons to pay $ 150 more for ?

Sure can go up to 16Tb of space, but it will take me more than 5 years to out grow 4Tb, and will probably be looking to upgrade to Drobo Gen 5 by that time.

2. marcus1060 macrumors newbie

The review says it can actually be a lot faster.

3. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

FW800 will destroy just about all read and write speed tests against usb2.

If speed is a factor for you then the extra money looks to be worth it.

4. err404 macrumors 68020

That's only true if the interface is your bottleneck.
    I just got the second Gen FW Drobo and so far speed has NOT been a strength. While the FW800 interface is faster than USB2, if a device is barely pushing USB2 limits, then FW won't be able to buy you as much are you might like.

I have not yet been able to run any controlled tests, but my Drobo does appear to have gotten faster after running for a while. I looked at it briefly this morning and was getting 37MB/s on a few small copies, whereas I was getting 15-20MB/s last night.

Does anybody know if there is a background optimization/build process that needs to be completed before the Drobo can settle into it's full speed? I expanded my array yesterday and was surprised to find that extra space was available and protected instantly.