Drobo 5D and Mac pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gordoabc, Nov 10, 2012.

1. gordoabc macrumors newbie

I have a Mac pro 3,1 (early 2008) and am trying to get it working with the new Drobo 5D and USB 3. I installed a Sonnet Allegro PCIe USB 3.0 card from OWC and the latest drivers from the Sonnettech website which are supposed to support Mountain Lion. A sandisk USB 3 flash drive seems to work but the drobo doesn't show up as a drive. It works fine when I bootcamp into Windows 8 so I don't think there is a hardware problem (using the sandisk sends my Bluetooth magic mouse into fits but that is reported by others). Has anyone got this combination working - do I need to connect the molex power cable to the Sonnet even though Drobo has its own power?

Is there another USB 3 option for Mac pro and mountain lion known to work with the Drobo?

2. mjuarez macrumors newbie

Did you try using it connected to one of the MacPro's USB2 ports? If that works, it might indicate an issue with the USB3 hardware/drivers.

3. gordoabc thread starter macrumors newbie

It works fine with USB 2 - it is some driver/USB card issue

4. gmehje macrumors member

any solution

Thinking of the same solution - did you get this to work?

Any solutions to which usb3.0 card for mac pro with Drobo 5d?

Kind Regards
    Ged

5. gordoabc thread starter macrumors newbie

no solution yet. I was able to get a Newertech eSATA-USB3 adaptor working with the Allegro (only on first boot - not hot pluggable) so I think the card is working OK. When I booted with the Drobo connected I briefly saw the partitions on the drobo but it then abruptly disconnected. Since then the drobo has gone into a continual reboot sequence (this is with USB2 connection and not Allegro related I think) so am currently troubleshooting with drobo - as a result have been sidetracked from trying to get higher speed....