Drobo 5D and Mini w/Thunderbolt

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Digital Skunk, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Digital Skunk, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012

Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

FINALLY!

drobo-mini-drobo-5d-thunderbot-drives.jpeg

What's best is they INCLUDE the TBolt cable. After owning about three of their boxes and having never encountered any of the issues I read about online I am saving my pennies to replace my Drobo S. I wasn't looking forward to new storage options just yet, but this may have to be put into the 6 month plan along with some 3TB drives.

The Drobo Mini is HUGE, and not what I'd call a drive for road warriors especially since it doesn't seem to be bus powered (given the 4 2.5" bays) but it'd be a nice addition to mobile media pros that need to setup a competent workstation in a press room or press box. Or just anyone that wants to save space. Let's hope they put the necessary firmware in for outfitting it with SSDs.

2. Nemic macrumors member

I have a Drobo FS, which I really love - although it could be a tad faster, and won't work with iMovie :-(

I can't wait for this to be available, looks fantastic :)

3. laxman101 macrumors regular

Still too expensive... Why can't they just give us a single drive enclosure?

4. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Because the whole point of Drobo and BeyonRAID is redundancy.

5. Digital Skunk thread starter macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

That, and when you put it into perspective the price is right around where the original Drobo S was when it was first introduced.

These boxes aren't for your everyday users that just need to backup some large files. Even a single drive enclosure with TBolt would be too expensive once you look at the USB3.0 options.

6. cuestakid macrumors 68000

I think the mere fact they are including the thunderbolt cable is cause for celebration. $800 for the 5-bay is actually cheaper than I thought they would do. I may upgrade my 4-bay FW800 one, assuming performance is good (though my green drives will have to be taken into the equation).

7. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I was honestly expecting more expensive Drobo models as well.

Two TB for daisy chain and SSD options that don't take up a drive bay.

8. Digital Skunk thread starter macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

So far, from what I can see and have read, they are the first to include the TBolt cable. The original 5-Bay was introduced near to or exactly that price. I remember being excited to see the price get down to $550 before I bought my original 5-Bay with USB2.0.

The speed is definitely dependent on the drives. I have green drives in my 4-Bay as well, and over FW800 it's a snail. The 5-Bay is connected to a LaCie eSATA TBolt hub and has Hitachi 7.2k drives in them and is keeping up with their SATAII interface.