Drobo and Airport Extreme 802.11n Setup Woes!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iMerlin, Aug 28, 2008.

1. iMerlin macrumors 6502a

iMerlin

Ok, so I have 2 PCs and Im planning on getting a MBP soon (hopefully September, i cant stand waiting anymore!!). So keep that in mind.

I got my Drobo and 3 seagate 500gb drives yesterday from newegg. One drive was dead out of box so I popped 2 drives in there and fired it up. I downloaded MacDisk to format it to HFS, plugged the Drobo into my PC and everything seemed to be going fine. 2 minutes, format was done. I unplugged it from the PC and plugged it into my AEBS and the AEBS saw the disk but was giving me an error saying to unplug it and check the disk for repair. Not sure what that means but something isnt right. I can ignore it if I chose to, but when I do, I still cant see the drobo on my PC (in explorer or My Network Places).
    I also downloaded MacDrive 7 and checked the Drobo to make sure MacDisk formatted it correctly, well it appeared in MacDrive as a HFS (not HFS+) but says capacity 2.1TB, I only have 1tb in there. I also tried setting it as HFS+ and still didnt work.
    Anyway, I sent an email to Drobo just to verify that Im doing this right and they replied that the AEBS supports the Drobo if it is formatted to HFS (they didnt say HFS+), which is what I thought. But they also mentioned something about turning on SMB protocol so my PCs and Mac (when I get it) can all see the Drobo. But I dont see any options in the AEBS utility for that. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

So I think Im stuck waiting for my Mac to make sure this thing is getting formatted correctly. Our babysitter brought her Mac today but said it was freezing up on her last night. I plugged it in and got the folder with a question mark!! Looks like she needs to head to the Apple store.

Edit: Ok, I dont know what happened overnight. I was up until 1am trying to figure this thing out. Another thing I forgot to mention is that I never got the Drobo to show up in the Airport Disk utility. It showed up in the Airport utility though.
    Well just now I fired up the PC, plugged the Drobo back into the AEBS to look for SMB and this time I get a pop up message saying an Airport Disk has been plugged in, what do I want to do? I never saw this message before. So I clicked connect as user and put in my password and wouldnt you know it, I can see it in Windows Explorer. I dont see it in My Network Places though but who cares. Im trying to copy some files to it now just to see what happens.

2. iMerlin thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMerlin

Ok, well I just copied a couple folders over no problem, but when I check the Drobo properties it shows 2tb capacity (which is wrong) and it shows file system FAT32.
    Now Im not sure if Windows doesnt know what HFS is, so it automatically thinks its FAT32, or if somehow, overnight, this Drobo decided to format itself to FAT32, because I know I never did. I know this thing is a Data Robot but come on!! Im gonna need to call up Will Smith and make sure this robot is on the up and up!!

3. iMerlin thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMerlin

For anyone who cares...I recently got my Mac and installed Drobo Dashboard. The Drobo Dashboard only works if you connect the Drobo directly to the Mac. This will give you an accurate reading of how much capacity you have used and left.

On another note, I cant see my Drobo in Time Machine so I decided to try and reformat it using disk utility but it wouldnt let me. Disk Utility told me I didnt have enough permission to do it.

Anyway, I just thought I would add to my own post in case anyone came searching for Drobo answers.

On yet another note, this thing is awesome, works like a champ on my Airport and mounted automatically to my new MBP as soon as I connected it to the network. I have no complaints with the Drobo at all. Now I wish I could figure out this Time Machine issue!!