Drobo as part of back-up plan

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CP450, Oct 28, 2008.

1. CP450 macrumors newbie

I'm not certain which is the appropriate forum to place this in as the Drobo has been discussed everywhere. This may add to part of my confusion about it.

This is my current situation. I have an iMac that I currently back-up in the following manner:

1. Online back-up of Music, Pictures, and Documents (Mozy)

2. Off-site back-up of Pictures, Music, Library, Documents, and Desktop each month. This is stored in my bank Safety Deposit Box on a WD Passport (160GB). Obviously, this will need to be larger in the future.

3. All significant photos are also backed-up on the original SD card (I buy new ones each time I go on vacation) stored in my bank Safety Deposit Box.

4. All video is currently unedited on DV tape stored in my bank Safety Deposit Box. I have probably twenty hours of unedited video awaiting editing from the past few years of trips.

I have been thinking about a Drobo to use to back-up my iMac (via FireWire). However, I have read comments that this is not a viable means of back-up. Don’t quite understand why if you use this in combination with other means. I understand the concept of having three separate and different types of media, particularly for photos and video. My plans are to do basic photo and video editing (I am not a total novice at this, obviously) with the existing data and then store it on my iMac’s HDD, the Drobo, an external HDD that can be stored off-site, online back-up of photos (I think video would be tough?), and the original SD cards and DV tape. I plan to switch to a HD camcorder but have not decided on tape v. SD/HDD.
    My thoughts were that I can use a dedicated external HDD as a ‘scratch disk” for editing, move my projects to the iMac’s internal HDD, and then back-up everything from there. I guess I can also designate space on the Drobo for SuperDuper?
    To complicate matters, I plan on purchasing an MBA/MB/MBP (one of these) for use as my primary business machine while leaving the iMac to personal use. I thought of using a Time Capsule for back-up for this.
    My question: is this a reasonable plan? It seems that the only limiting factor is the space available on the iMac’s internal HDD. Also, should I back-up the unedited video from all DV tapes (quite a bit of video) to a drive (I assume this would almost certainly have to be external) in addition to the completed/edited video?
    Bottom line is I am confused as the best solution for me and which path to take to ensure the safety of my data while not wasting money at the same time. I appreciate any and all comments/suggestions as before. Thanks, everyone!

2. mcruzader macrumors regular

They Drobo looks like its perfect for your needs. Just back up everything and then put the Drobo in your bank safety deposit box :p. All kidding aside Drobo is great since it is a Raid 5. I would say go for it back up everything to it and take your stuff out of the safety deposit box and stop spending on SD cards. That is the purpose of digital cameras, no need to buy film, or say spend on storage.

3. digitalfrog macrumors regular

digitalfrog

I find drobo expensive for what it is, especially if you add the *optional* LAN !

Also, there is a huge waste of space unless it's fully populated, and with similar disk.

Great marketing, but not as good as it looks.

I was close to get one, but went with a Synology DS408 which ended up been about the same price and MUCH more powerful.

4. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

if you can afford drobo..then get it!
    for your needs and the security you seem to have, the drobo would be of great use to you.

one of the most important features that you will like is the option to physically take out a hard drive from the drobo and store the hardware in your lock box.

5. highjumppudding macrumors 6502

highjumppudding

get the drobo if you can afford it. it is superior to other solutions out there and is definitely worth the cash. the ethernet adapter is if your router DOESNT have a usb or firewire port. the airport extreme however, HAS a usb port. so no worries.

6. CP450 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks...

Thanks very much for your thoughts, everyone!

7. digitalfrog macrumors regular

digitalfrog

...or if you want to share the Drobo over gigabit ethernet to several machines attached directly or to a switch.

8. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

9. Maxington macrumors 6502

I purchased a Drobo and LOVE IT for what it can do.

Drobo + My Data back-up = Ease of mind.

Simple easy to use and reliable.

10. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a