Drobo, external HDD or alternatives?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DerJapaner, Nov 1, 2009.

1. DerJapaner macrumors newbie

Even after digging through the forums here I am still lost. I am in need of about 3 TB data storage that should be mirrored at least once locally, I am copying key files to a second place as well.

Now... my current solution is 6+ external HDDs from Seagate and Maxtor that have had a couple of unmount issues and complete failing lately. In net I am open to new solutions.

Option 1 being Drobo, but from all I read it sounds as if there are mixed reactions to the Drobo being reliable.

Question for me would be if there is any "easy to manage" solution that is giving me 3 TB plus storage, is not prone to unmount automatically like my current Seagates tend to do (not helpful for AppleTV usage) and mirroring in regards to disk failure for below 1000 US. I use an Imac alu 2.4 and snow leopard.

Thanks for any advice. :)

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Check out this thread. Personally, I'd go with Drobo just for the expandability, both companies have mixed reactions and tons of users swear by both.

3. DerJapaner thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for quick reply - you mean the two systems to choose from (based on the link) are the WD 4 TB option and the Drobo? Any learnings on Qnap or so ....am just surfing the webs on this topic, but it is hard to find a red line of options with Pros and Cons.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

iThink I get what you are saying. Both Drobo and Western Digital as companies have mixed reactions regarding drive failings. I don't think you go wrong with either, but I'd go with Drobo because of expandability.

5. tri3limited macrumors 6502

My drobo has been a superb and reliable workhorse for a good 6 months now. Can't fault it in any way and when I need to expand I just take out the smallest drive and that's it!

Once I've paid off my Mac Pro and upgraded my monitoring solution I'm pretty sure I'll move on to a drobo pro as I can get a few more drives into it.