Drobo for 2.5 Hard drives

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by johnsy, Oct 20, 2008.

1. johnsy macrumors 6502

Anyone interested in more portable version? I would say that it could solve spare notebook hard drive problem if you will keep updating glass macbook//pro all the time.:)
    Make a request then.

drobo

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

I don't really see a need for it.

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I have to agree. Sure the case could be a little smaller that way but with multiple 2.5" drives it will still have to be AC powered, so would it really be "more portable" enough to make a difference? Not for me anyway.

4. Cehtna macrumors newbie

I totally agree with you, I happen to upgrade my MacBook every once in a while, and everytime I do I get a spare HDD.. I want to pop that one in a little drobo.

It will also be quieter, and more energy efficient..
    I could also sleep next to it if it had the ability to turn off or dim the lights, especially the blue ones.. Cant help it, but I really dont see the wow in blue leds. Thank you Apple for not using them blinding things!

5. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

Qnap makes NAS's that support 2.5" drives. Also I think Sansdigital does too.

6. BrettA, Dec 11, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2010

BrettA macrumors newbie

Drobo for 2.5 Hard Drives - Yes!

I'd go for a 2.5 inch version - and for the people suggesting "no need" I submit that you could say that about almost any product (the new smaller MacBook Air for example). Is it marketable and would it sell? I suggest it would, especially with all the people who use 2.5ers on the road like me. As I upgrade those, it'd be nice to throw the older but sufficiently large ones in a 5-slot Drobo and that'd be my approach. I like smaller, more efficient and recyclable... even if I may be unable to demonstrate a real "need".

7. waw74 macrumors 68030

8. Jacquesass macrumors regular

I've considered this as well - I have a bunch of drives that aren't of much use any more. For me, though, a Drobo isn't very practical - even if I were to pop in all of my old drives (160 + 250 + 320 + 500) - I wouldn't even have 750GB of usable space (after BeyondRaid allocates redundant space).

Given that Drobo has never sold anything for under $400, it would almost certainly be cheaper for me to buy a cheap 3.5" RAID1 dual 750GB HD for the same amount of storage.

On a side note, I did find a pretty cool RAID0/RAID1 dual 2.5" case:
    http://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-D...nclosure/dp/B0030MHEGS/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_0

You could also put two 9mm 750GB drives in this case and have 750GB of portable RAID1 for under $300 total...