Drobo help/suggestions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by OrangeSVTguy, Dec 28, 2011.

1. OrangeSVTguy, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011

OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Well I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to accomplish what I want to do. I want everything on my Drobo connected to my Airport Extreme via USB. I'm not crucial with speed.

I currently have 2 separate Time Machine backups on one 2TB HDD, 2 partitions at 1TB each to make it easy. 1 for my MBP with 256GB SSD and 1 for my MBA with 128GB SSD. Do I need to make 3 partitions, one for each TM backup and my Media? Or can I have just one partition and make disk images for my TM backups. I'm going to make the backups twice the size of the SSD capacity as 1TB for each drive is far too much.

One 2TB drive for my media currently at 50% capacity.

One empty 2TB drive. I plan to purchase one more 2TB drive.

OK so what I have done so far, put the empty 2TB in my Drobo and did a RESET. Set it up for 8TB as I don't think I'll have more than that anyways in the future.

Have the Drobo daisy-chained connected to my MBP via FW800 with my other HDD with the TM backups.

----------

Forgot to post that earlier....

Well I have a problem. I put my Media HDD into the Drobo first, came up that it was unformated/unrecognized so I chose not to format it. Took it out and now it won't mount. Now I'm using Steller Phoenix to recover what ever the Drobo did to my HDD since it somehow screwed up my partition. Another $99 down the drain :(

2. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

OK I formatted another 2TB drive so I can recover my boinked one. That's been going all night. Guess I will set up the drobo tonight with some drives and then copy onto it, which I have a feeling I should have done this the first time around.

Should I create 3 partitions? One for my media and then 2 more for my TM backups? Or can I just drag and drop the sparse disk images over? Only problem I see with that is TM won't prune itself as the sparse image will just keep on growing so I guess I should just create the extra partitions.

I've been doing a lot of reading and googling already which has helped tremendously :) just could use a bit more suggestions what other people's setups are.

3. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Got everything situated. Setup the Drobo, created 3 partitions on it and restored the MBA and MBP time machine disk images to the other partitions and copying over the rest of my stuff to the 3rd partition. :)

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Sorry I didn't see you post sooner. Yes 3 partitions saves overwrites etc. best way to go and how I'm setup.

5. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Thanks. I created a 500GB partition for my MBP TM backup and 200GB for the MBA and whatever is rest was set up as the 3rd partition and 8TB for future expansion, 4TB probably would have been sufficed too. Doubt I'd ever fill up half that but I read that it makes it slower if you make it the largest 16TB.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

16tb dosnt slow it. I'm in the process of moving mine for 2tb drives to 3's using wd cav greens. Works perfectly.