Drobo - How to partition?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cibby, Aug 10, 2011.

1. cibby macrumors member

I'm trying to setup my Drobo 4-bay and am a little confused with how to setup multiple partitions and/or volumes. I've seen one post on their site that walks through how to use Disk Utility to create one, but when I try that it never finishes (says it can't mount the disk midway through). I've seen another post that says ONLY use Drobo Dashboard to do it, but I don't see that option anywhere.

I'm running Lion.

Any advice?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

You do it in the drobo dashboard

3. cibby thread starter macrumors member

OK... can you point to me to where? Initially I created one large 16TB volume thinking I would then partition that into smaller drives. Is that possible? I don't see any options under Capacity and Tools to create them, or under Volumes.

Or do I need to make smaller volumes and use each one as a partition? The downside I see to that is the volume sizes are in big increments.

I'm running the latest dashboard.

Thanks.

4. iCreate macrumors member

You create shares using the shares options along the left side of the Drobo Dashboard. Public already exists, then you add shares by clicking the + button, giving it name and clicking ok. One done don't forget to select the checkbox next to each share you create so that it's usable.
    I hope you're running Lion and tell me how is goes. A lot of people are having issues with Drobo and Lion despite the fact the Drobo support says it's compatible with the current firmware and dashboard.