Drobo - Is this what I'm looking for

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dinggus, Dec 31, 2012.

1. dinggus macrumors 65816

I'd like to have one huge enclosure for all my HDD's, that way I don't have multiple external HDD's being plugged in. I'm looking at the Drobo 4 Bay, and would like to put 4x3TB in it, is this what I'm looking for?

Is there cheaper alternatives?

2. macbookairman, Dec 31, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012

macbookairman macrumors 6502a

In terms of ease of use, Drobo is great. However, their older models (the firewire ones) aren't the most reliable from what I've heard, and can become very slow -- this includes the Drobo 4 bay.

Their new models (Drobo Mini and 5D) are great and very fast thanks to Thunderbolt. I've got the Mini and I love it. The downside is the price. There are cheaper Raid units out there, but they aren't as simple to manage as Drobo. The Drobo is sort of a set it up and forget product, and they are very easy to expand.

Bottom line: If you can afford the 5D or Mini, I think Drobo is a good choice albeit pricy. If you can't do that, I'd suggest looking elsewhere, though you'll sacrifice ease of use.

Other cheaper options I can think of is this OWC RAID unit or Synology.

3. dinggus thread starter macrumors 65816

4. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

Yep, Drobos are just the enclosure.

That Synology unit only uses 2.5" drives, which will limit your capacity. The biggest 2.5" drive you'll find is 1TB. I'm guessing you'd prefer a system that uses 3.5" drives, which would allow for much higher capacity.

5. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

Cheaper ? Not sure.

More reliable and faster ? Most certainly. Synology.

I had a Drobo for a year, and it ended in near-disaster.
    Only after months I was able to recover most of my data.

Returned the Drobo, and got a Synology. MUCH faster, feels more reliable. If you do some search online, you'll find that Drobo's are not as stable as they make you believe.

-t

6. dinggus thread starter macrumors 65816

Oops, thanks for catching that. I'm looking to hold around 12TB+.

Which one do you have?

7. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

If you've got existing drives you want to put in a NAS, you'd better check whether or not they're compatible, or at least recommended, for the NAS.

8. dinggus thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, I figured I'd just buy new HDD's and place them in, then sell the externals.