Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hitek79

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
Anyone running one yet? I do a lot of photography/video stuff and I'm looking for a secure storage solution and something that won't get bogged down when I'm editing large files and videos. This looks like a good solution, but a bit pricey. Any input?

TheSpeaker

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
Wouldn't trust a Drobo with my data at all. Had too many issues with mine randomly rebuilding itself or killing perfectly healthy drives. Steer clear.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
It works… but I wouldn't keep my only copy on the Drobo. If something messed up, you can't do anything about it because it runs a proprietary "RAID" scheme; they also encrypt the logs, so you don't even know what's going on if something just go astray.

Then there is the issue where the Drobo is very expensive.

hitek79

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
So it looks like after doing some research that the Pegasus R4 might be the way to go. The cost would be about the same, but it looks to be much much faster. Only major downside seems to be its larger form factor, which isn't a huge issue. Any comments on those?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.