Drobo mini

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ifti, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Ifti macrumors 68000

Over £500 for an enclosure with no HDDs??
    Probably have you buy your own Thunderbolt cable as well,
    Are these guys serious???!!!!!

2. Nemic macrumors member

The Drobo Mini comes with both Thunderbolt and USB cables included.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

You're not just paying for a HDD enclosure, but also the Drobo 'redundancy' with regards to hot-swapping HDD's that fail.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its priced in the 4bay NAS category but its not really a NAS, so I'd say its more expensive, given what you're getting. Its an interesting product but drobo's reputation and price make it something that I'll not buy.

5. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

I guess that justifies the price then! Lol

But considering you can pick up a 6TB Synology NAS for only a little more, adding all the full on NAS features, it's still way overpriced for what it is.
    Remember, to fill it with 4 1TB HDDs you are looking at around an additional £400. That makes it a REALLY expensive option.

My thoughts exactly. It looks pretty good I must admit and I was interested, until I saw the price!

Also, with 4 drives I guess it needs an external power supply, which again reduces its appeal to me somewhat.
    It would be interesting to measure the speed of the unit with 4 SSDs installed though. Would be crazy fast! :eek:

6. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

You should seriously not be comparing those two products. Go pick on the full-size Drobos instead of this little fellow. :p

Besides, NAS is not necessarily better than DAS in all cases, and the Drobo is in theory much more convenient than standard RAID. (Not that I'd actually trust it, but that is another story...)

And £400? Has the £ gotten a lot weaker lately?