Drobo Nightmares with Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by osxhero, Nov 27, 2011.

1. osxhero macrumors member

I've noticed a ton of threads about Drobo drives and Lion. Based on some suggestions from this forum I purchased a Drobo FS drive and four 3TB drives to ride inside. The unit started up great, and worked until I plugged it into my network and pointed all the office computers at it. Even starting one computer at a time, and having all the rest of them dormant, the Time Machine backups freeze. This is with the latest Dashboard and Firmware in the system.

After reading tons of comments online about Time Machine problems and Lion w/Drobo, I decided to go manual and just make file copies to the system. Turns out that's even less successful. After about 137k of data, the entire file copy locks up. The entire time my only Snow Leopard machine is backing up at 10MB/sec.

Is Lion just toast with the Drobo drives? Given that I haven't really needed anything in Lion since I upgraded, I'm leaning toward moving my entire office back to Snow Leopard until Apple sorts this thing out.

What do you know?

2. Steppenwolf323 macrumors newbie

Everything is fine with mine

Hi

I have a DroboFS with 12TB connected to both my iMac and MacBook Pro both with Lion, with no problems.

I would recommend contacting Drobo Support through their website and sending them a Diagnostic Report which you can create through the dashboard.

They are very helpful.

3. osxhero thread starter macrumors member

I wanted to follow-up. Thanks for the reminder.

The problem was that my buildings internal cables have enough data loss that the drive wasn't able to maintain a connection. NOT the Drobo's fault.