Drobo on ebay, good deal?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Capt Crunch, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

I've decided on a Drobo to hold all of my media files and I'm going with a USB one for the savings and since I only plan to stream 1080p files.

I've found one on ebay here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=160291263486&Category=80217

It's got 2 1TB drives and it would be about $450 shipped, which is about $100 off. The caveat; it's used and according to the description the HD door is broken. In the description and elsewhere on the internet it says functionality is not effected by this. Should I jump on it or get a new one from Amazon?

Or are there obvious alternatives I'm missing for easily expandable redundant external HDs?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

cool just bought it! thanks for the link, ive been looking for one too

haha jk i didnt, just wanted to mess with ya lol

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i was hoping someone would quote me showing i was kidding lol

*see white text*

4. Capt Crunch thread starter macrumors 6502

lol!!

Would you buy it though if in my position?

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

You know I hate to say this without documentation (as naturally I can't find the thread again, look as though I may try :(), but a recent thread here brought up the fact that some 1st gen Drobos were suffering from heat related failure issues that seemed to be a problem when the door was not in place correctly. Now that may not apply here whatever because it doesn't say if the door can't be used at all but thought I would mention that as you might want to do some more searching for recent Drobo threads here before buying this one.

Again, I have no personal knowledge of Drobos but read that posting with interest as I have considered purchasing myself.